What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some flytrap photos

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
small 'Jaws' - 2 inch pot
P5180098.jpg

Typical - recovering from triple repotting
P5180097.jpg

Typical - huge traps (largest ~1.5 inches)
P5180096.jpg

'B52' - recently hardened-off - adjusting to the great outdoors
P5180094.jpg

another 'B52' - older plant - loving the great outdoors - largest trap ~1.25 inches
P5180095.jpg

P5180106.jpg

P5180105.jpg

Note: according to Hennings with B52s the really large trap production occurs in late summer through autumn

Awesome! I love your older B52! Is that perlite in the first picture? If so, boy is it dirty:)!

Your second typical's trap coloration is very similar to both my Dente's and my Typicals'. They don't seem to color up much. I guess I'll have to wait until fall.

'Sawtooth'
P5180092.jpg

P5180117.jpg

P5180115.jpg

P5180114.jpg

Very nice looking plants! I am rethinking how to cultivate them since I have had terrible luck with preventing them from being ravaged outside. What kind of lighting are you providing for them?

Very nice looking plants! I am rethinking how to cultivate them since I have had terrible luck with preventing them from being ravaged outside. What kind of lighting are you providing for them?

They're all outdoors, about 4-6 hours of direct afternoon sunlight (west facing covered balcony). The small 'B52' hardened off in my sundew tank, about 60W of T8 fluorescent lights half growlights, half cool white- not enough for VFTs really, but okay for my South African Drosera - I need to add a couple more tubes. And then a couple weeks on a west facing windowsill.

The big 'B52' and 'Sawtooth' was at the growers under T5 lighting - eighteen hour photoperiod - 4 x four foot tubes I'm guessing. The trap with the green margin is the first leaf to open outdoors since I got it about month ago.

The 'B52's, 'Jaws' and 'Sawtooth' have been outdoors for about a month. The typicals have been outdoors since Feb.

Awesome! I love your older B52! Is that perlite in the first picture? If so, boy is it dirty:)!

Your second typical's trap coloration is very similar to both my Dente's and my Typicals'. They don't seem to color up much. I guess I'll have to wait until fall.

Yeah, perlite, I got the 'Jaws' from Forbes at the LACPS meeting. He grows his plants from cuttings/pullings so I don't know how long it's been in that pot. There's a hitchhiker Drosera in there too.

I bought those typicals from Home Depot and OSH. I selected them mainly for trap size, although the first one had a lot more color in the original leaves. Next time I think I'll select for color.

I really love these photos. Especially the B-52s and their crimson mouths.

Boy, I really like those Sawtooths......

I'd love to get some but I cannot find a nursery or an online vendor that has them.

'muz be kinda rare 'huh? :(

NAN, nice photo's, especially the b-52's. Great job!
Peter.

Thanks Peter. I'm just using a borrowed point & shoot digital. It has close-up and digital zoom but is hard to use with no manual focus. I just snap away and discard all the messed up pictures.

Correction: Grower is using an 8 tube T5 fixture from SunLeaves - fancy stuff

Here's some more of the 'Jaws' and 'Cupped Trap':
P5190105.jpg

P5190108.jpg

'Cupped Trap' - recovering from two flower stalks
P5190104.jpg

P5190092.jpg

P5190089.jpg

P5190090.jpg

How hard is it to propagate cup trap?

I just got 3 babies from cuttings so it can't be too hard.

They're supposed to be difficult to grow to large plants because they divide frequently on their own. Maybe that's why AgriStarts III hasn't distributed them in a while - wait for what's out there to die off so demand goes up again.

Oooooo!!

I like the Cupped Trap too!

So how does the cupped trap work??? Does it have difficulty sealing tightly shut on prey due to the oddball trap shape?? Seems like it would....

The traps are supposed to be fully functional. The leaves that were on it when I bought it wouldn't close completely when I tried to feed them. If you look at the first picture you can see a couple of leaves without traps - thanks to the flowers. I haven't tried feeding it since it started producing new traps finally.

BTW the cupped trap in the first and second close-ups is actually a much deeper red - crimson/maroon then shows in the photo. Closer to the color of the big B52. The outside is pretty red too, but you can't see that from the photos. I could color correct it, but too lazy to calibrate my monitor etc.

wow, nicely done. The traps are SO red :-O

Wow, I love the B52, where'd you get it? Wanna trade something for one? I'll even take 1 leaf if you can spare that. :D

'Justina Davis' - this plant reacted badly to sunlight and sunburned badly. I've moved it to a windowsill where it gets half as much sunlight while it recovers.

before:
04380027.jpg

after - most of the burned leaves trimmed off, deformed traps forming
P5180107.jpg

P5180108.jpg

They divide alot most likely from BAP residues I want to get when I get tc down some leaves of b52 and some other big and unusual vfts.

Frequent division is a characteristic of the 'Cupped Trap' cultivar:

"Dionaea muscipula ‘Cupped Trap’ is somewhat difficult to grow to large size due to its abundant rhizome division and asexual formation of plants on inflorescence. The specimen pictured (Figure 5) is approximately 9.5 cm (3.75 inches) in diameter with traps 2 cm (0.75 inches) in length."
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v33n3p83_89.html#cupped

Nice growing.. I can tell they love there growing conditions............

Back