What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glowing traps...

So, I discovered this today, and either I have a brand new, very interesting cultivar, or my flytrap caught a firefly! I noticed my trap was glowing and decided to snap a picture of it and share it with you guys.

firefly.jpg

Do you think I have anything to worry about from the firefly's chemicals hurting my plant?

VGT--Venus Glow Trap!!

LOL!

fire flies always mess up my traps. same with lady bugs. they dont kill the plant...but for me they always killed the trap. neat pic :D
Alex

Ah ha! Caught you red-handed!

There was a bit in the latest Carnivorous Plant Newsletter of a pilot conservation program where they paint wild VFTs with a luminous dye to catch poachers. The dye is visible under ultraviolet light and the idea is that agricultural inspectors can quickly determine if the plants were poached or cultivated. Before they would have to rely on analysis of the soil found on the roots.

A similar program supposedly is very successful in snagging poachers of wild ginsing in the Smokey Mountains.

J/K :) Great photo!

Cool! I wonder how many lumens a firefly is calculated to have.

When I was much younger and had a toad, I would feed it fireflies sometimes. It was funny to watch them blink inside the toads stomach.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh new special ops VFT with night vision for use in Iran

:p

:0o: wow I think their is a firefly in there:hail: try not to get them in their

wow I think their is a firefly in there try not to get them in their

? ? ?

haha thats awesome, it really is a glowing trap

Wow! That is really nifty, I have never seen that happen.
I do not think it will hurt your plant; if it does it would probably only hurt the trap that caught the fire fly and not the whole plant.

Cool pic. :) A firefly will not hurt the plant. It might cause the demise of the trap. Some bugs are not as well received as others. I think my traps have caught lightning bugs before with no ill effects (for the trap, not the bug.. :D ).

love the color very nice sucks for the trap though

OMG that's so cool. Why don't they sell a flightless firefly culture? :)

Back