What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems...

Lately my vfts are kinda acting weird... one of them when catches something the traps tend to curl when digesting (btw this is the vft that seems the healthiest to me over here), other I think it's suffering of rhizome rott. My first time having this kind of problems, so what to do? Uproot it and remove dead parts of the rhizome?
Here are some pics to show.

The curling one:

The rotting (lower right corner):

What are you feeding it, how much water is in the soil and how much humidity do you have?

For some reason, when I put tons of humidity around my Dionaea they would become flimsy and floppy like the ones in the photo looks. I don't know, this is just speculation though. Still, more information would be somewhat helpful. :)

How do you keep your peat so clean?

Looking at the white fuzz makes me think mealybugs, but probably only because some of my Sarrs have/had 'em and I found one on my 'Cupped Trap'.

Isolate the rotting one from the rest.

The rotted one looks pretty far gone and might be lost no matter what you do. I'd dig it up and look at the rhizome for mealybugs or fungus. Peeling off the rotted parts may not be a bad idea but if it is a fungus you need to treat with a fungicide. I don't know what fungicides are available in Portugal but sulfur based ones are a reliable backup.

Cleaned up the rhizome, this is what is left

No mealybugs there, removed all rotting rhizom and planted it again. Now I'll wait.

Not a Number the plants were repotted only a few months ago, maybe that's why it's still clean ;)

No roots left? Maybe a better chance as pullings...

Maybe for the heck of it try some of the discarded bits as pullings too.

hey....I thought I posted a big reply in this thread....what happened?? :( Damn! I wrote about the entire things to do....

well...anyways.....basically.....that is not a good sign dude...if thats all is left of the rhizome....unless the plant is tough...and u give it the best conditions..its hard to salvage it. However, that is where leaf cuttings typically come from...the rhizome part...so wait for a month or over...and see if the miracle has happened.

BUT...my advice is to:

Give a VFT full sunlight
Give them a nice balanced peat + perlite mix
Give them pure water
Patience!

That is the key for any VFT in cultivation. :)

I don't see any perlite in the mix. It looks like pure reat. Or are you using sand in with the peat?

Pure peat tends to lead to root rot according to some online sources. I tend to agree but as long as you take care with your watering it should be fine. Just touch the peat lightly before watering - if it is moist, don't water. And use less than you would with mixes. Eyeballing doesn't work.

Back