What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sun damage

is it possible for cps to get sun damage? ive always grown my plants on a windowsill facing south. however, since i've decided to grow the plants outside, they're getting more (maybe excessive) sun. the plants are outside in the backyard on top of the picnic table. the sun rises at 6 and sets at about 830. so, the plants are pretty much out in the sun for more than 12 hours.

Yup, CPs can suffer from sun damage. In general, many can be worked up to higher levels of sun, and many (eg, VFTs and Sarracenia) seem to appreciate a lot of sun.

If you're starting to grow them outside in a lot more light, I'd advise you to protect them for a while and slowly give them more and more sun. While you still may get some damage, they should be better for it in the long run.

That was a case of too much too fast. If you have a porch that limits the direct light but gets them used to being outside, that should help. As long as the plants haven't died, the new growth should be just fine.

I've roasted a vft .. putting it directly from a light starved lowes cube of death to all day sun. All the leaves died off, but new ones come back in their place after a few weeks. If the traps are already turning yellow/brown, I'd just let them die off (not much you could do to save it now). Just keep them watered as normal and they'll be back before too long (traps might be a little smaller at first though).

Plants are very much like people. If you spend much of the year (winter months) indoors and then spend 12 hours in the sunlight on the first nice day of spring, you are likely to get a bad sunburn. If you slowly work up the number of hours of direct sunlight, you can escape getting burned.

What I do with my plants, when I move the back outside, I put them up against the house that faces north (I live in the northern hemisphere). Some of them get a slight sun burn, but they generally recover. I then slowly, over a few weeks, move them further away from the house until they are out in the open for the entire day. Even some of my plants, that are supposed to be shaded for much of the day, can tolerate the sun for longer hours if you slowly introduce them to longer hours of sunlight.

Also depends on what CP's you are growing. Many drosera are fine. I would say Pings generally will burn in full sun. I just burned some of mine with the late spring sun that was brighter than i thought!
peter.

Neps are another easy one to burn!

i think my plants burned already. gah!

i didnt water it yesterday but i remember the trays having water in it. when i checked on them this morning, the vfts were all shriveled and the media was dry. so, i put them in a spot where the sun hits 7-8 hours/day. hopefully, this works better for them.

This a good lesson for all! Even full sun plants have to be acclimated to it gradually or they are liable to burn. I have learned this the hard way with some toasted Pings.

Never put indoor, artificial light, or shade grown plants in full sun!
Peter.

Back