What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Spot....AHHHHHH

Has anyone had any experience with black spot on VFTs? I have a few plants with it on them and just wondered if a fungicide will take care of it or is there a certain kind that is best to use for this? I am sure that it is black spot and read in a book that it affects apple trees and rose bushes and I have both nearby. Any help will be appreciated.

like...sooty mold? it should just wipe off.
Alex

Neem oil or a sulfur based fungicide should take care of black spot.

Schultz's Garden Safe Fungicide 3 is Neem oil. Clint uses it and likes it. I use it on my VFTs and have no complaints.

Great! Thanks, I have Neem Oil and will try it today. Thanks again for the advice. Wes

If Neem oil doesn't work Cleary 3336 (thiophanane methyl) or a sulfur based should wipe it out. Cleary 3336 can be hard to find outside of nursery only supply stores which don't always sell to the public.

You're talking the big black spots (1/16 to 1/2 inch) which turn the area around it yellow right? Sooty mold or powdery mildew could be a sign of thirps or other pests. Neem oil should take care of those also. Just be patient as it takes a few reproductive cycles for Neem to do its deed completely. Reapply as recommended.

It is for sure not sooty mold. I have lost a couple of plants already to black spot. Black spots start until all of the green is gone and then the plant dies a little later. Not a Number, I have cleary as well and if the Neem doesn't work I will try it. I ran a fungicide through all of my bogs this morning as well as spraying neem on the vfts. Thanks again!

Check the instructions on the Cleery as sulfurs warn not to use within after four weeks of oil usage.

Something similar almost wiped out one of my B52s and my VFT seedlings when they were in my tank. Moving them outdoors and some Neem oil seems to have cleared it up, still I lost half of my seedlings. I need to disinfect the tank just to be sure. I'll do that today.

Back