What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mold on seedlings

Hello. I came back this week from holidays to find my 3 month old seedlings with some mold growing on their media. I removed most of it manually, but some is just too close to the plants. I've also tried to improve the flow of air in the terrarium and lower the RH from about 90 to 75. I also had a damaged light bulb, so i'll replace it with a new one (i've heard that proper lighting avoids mold).
My question is: is what I've done enough, or should i use a fungicide; and in case i do, which is a good option? another option i've considered is transplanting into new media, would that be advisable given the age of the plants?
thanks

My seedlings in the tank went downhill at around 2-3 months. As recommended by others I put them outside. I sprayed them with a sulfur based fungicide and put them in partial shade for a few weeks. They're doing well now, but I lost five out of the nine seedlings. If I had moved them outside sooner I might have saved a couple more.

Tanks are not the best place to grow VFTs. That's not to say you can't do it. But VFTs don't need high humidity (the reason some people use tanks). If you choose to grow them in a tank, you will need make sure there is adequate air flow or you will get mold. Usually rinsing the mold off and increasing ventilation will cure the mold problem.

IMHO, growing a VFT outdoors is the best environment. Its closer to their natural conditions; they feed themselves and do what they do best in nature.

one thing is true: VFT's don't need high humdity. And they are also not picky at all. I have VFT seedlings growing pretty insanely and now they are at 8 months. I had clumps whcih were too close, seperated them and then they took off. I now have them just in a small tub. I would suggest using something like that.

When I water them, they are submurged all the way completely and then I water after like 3 days again. They have a wonderful long roots.

636013423_516ee9e5b3.jpg
636013417_ffe9068f5b.jpg
554577523_1204fd5ba5_o.jpg

Basically,

they are pretty good in plastic or any pot.
Give them plenty of light
Pure water
No need for any fungicide.
My humidity is around 40%, but for the seedlings I guess it will be higher as they are deeper so probably 70, I can say.

In the worst case scenario, don't give up. Things happen. For some reason my red dragon is getting kinda weak by closing traps off on nothing. Stupid light bugs seem to trigger them. Its all a learning experience. If you want the most hassle free way to grow these plants, even its seedlings, give it full sun, they will love it.

Back