What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea abnormal coloration...

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Okay,

I received some Petite Dragon and Petite Dragon x Jaws from Bob Ziemer a few months back (and some 1955 Typical). I received some healthy green plants. I divided them when I got them (accidentally, but, apparently it worked) and for awhile I couldn't identify anything due to my poor conditions made no traps on the leaves (I put them all in the same pot with some Typicals, Big Mouths and Red Dragons lol, I was such a super noob back then)! I was able to discern the Petite Dragon x Jaws since the plain Jaws I knew by heart where it was, and I knew where the Big Mouths and Typicals were, and so I had the small Dionaea with the regular cilia left (incidentally, the traps are bigger than BobZ's 8 mm's or whatever he stated they were, but, they still are tiny compared to the other Dionaea traps). He also sent me some Dionaea without any marginal spines so it isn't Jaws or Petite Dragon x Jaws and it has large traps so it's not Petite Dragons... no idea what it is.

Okay, now that I've covered that (you really didn't need to know it lol) I have a predicament. All my Sarra keep good color in the sun they get (they get like 10:00 PM to 7:30 PM full direct sun, scorching afternoon sun just beating down on them, so it's intense sunlight) and the water that comes out of the bottom of the pot is amber brownish like it should be, rich in tannins. So I have no idea why the Petite Dragon are not colored up. Incidentally, right next to the Petite Dragon is a Red Dragon redder than blood. It's the same color as my plain and Big Mouth and Jaws Dionaea (the Jaws seems to just stay green though) with only light pink coloration in the traps. So what the heck... I got slightly bigger Dionaea Petite Dragon without any of their signature color, a blood red Red Dragon right next to them and some Dionaea I never bought and so it came from Bob Ziemer that is not any of what he gave me. He also gave me 1955 Typical which I think I'm sure where it is but where I am sure the Petite Dragon is, they are not coloring up like their Red Dragon brother RIGHT next to them!

I have no idea what could be wrong but it's certainly puzzling...

That's why people label with plant stakes.

And BobZ has been known to mislabel stuff before ;)

The big one with regular cilia is probably the 1955 Typical now that I think about it.

Oh dear... then I wonder what I did get. I know I got Petite Dragon x Jaws and Jaws but...

You may have to wait until next year to see them colour up properly if they're small and since they've had some disturbance.

You may have to wait until next year to see them colour up properly if they're small and since they've had some disturbance.

I wasn't informed about their age but I will do just that. Hopefully they color up then otherwise I'll be confused again haha!

'Petite Dragon' are going to be small - hence the name. They should look like 'Akai Ryu' only smaller and slower growing. And when they reach flowering age the flower stalks should bifurcate (fork) and have red stigma.

And BobZ has been known to mislabel stuff before
That is somewhat a slanderous statement. Specifically, what plants have I mislabeled?

I received some Petite Dragon and Petite Dragon x Jaws from Bob Ziemer a few months back
Sam, you never received any Petite Dragon x Jaws from me. I did, however, send you some Jaws x Petite Dragon plants in February, correctly labeled. These plants were grown from seed obtained from the the stated breeding and, as a result, each plant will have unique genetics and may or may not look anything like their siblings. Some have dentate cilia, others do not. Some are more red than others. Some are larger than others. That is the exciting thing about cross breeding. What you get is somewhat a crap shoot.

That is somewhat a slanderous statement. Specifically, what plants have I mislabeled?

Quite right. I should have said perhaps there was a mix up somewhere or even better nothing at all. Open mouth, insert foot. It would appear that through either faulty memory or telephone connection on my part that names were mixed up in a story I was told. I apologize for any affronts my statement may have made.

Sam, you never received any Petite Dragon x Jaws from me. I did, however, send you some Jaws x Petite Dragon plants in February, correctly labeled. These plants were grown from seed obtained from the the stated breeding and, as a result, each plant will have unique genetics and may or may not look anything like their siblings. Some have dentate cilia, others do not. Some are more red than others. Some are larger than others. That is the exciting thing about cross breeding. What you get is somewhat a crap shoot.

Hey Bob! Glad you could post to help out :).

Whoops... got the crossing reversed... my bad! Sorry. And I'd have to agree with that statement... I think you sent me 2 or 3 maybe because I noticed that some of the cilia were somewhat denteish and somewhat normal, mostly normal, slightly dente, mostly dente, etc. it is really quite fascinating to see. Thanks again! :D

~Sam

Back