What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small traps

I have a VFT I bought from lowes. At first it was producing large traps, but now the new traps have been around 1/2 inch. I was feeding it one insect per week if it wasnt catching anything. I only use distilled water. I slowly put in full sun. Am I doing something wrong?

Random, but how much did your VFT cost?

Random, but how much did your VFT cost?

It costed $9.00. It was one of the large ones with about 8 traps already on it. It was a fresh shipment I got to them within 2 days of shipment.

It's probably tissue cultured. Artficially being grown in agar in early life means their hormones are all over the place for the first year or so and they can sometimess produce lots of offshoots with mini traps.
Not much you can do really.

It's probably tissue cultured. Artficially being grown in agar in early life means their hormones are all over the place for the first year or so and they can sometimess produce lots of offshoots with mini traps.
Not much you can do really.
Ditto. I was really disappointed when my Wal-Mart VFTs grew new traps that were smaller and less red than the traps it had at the time of purchase. Just put it in full sun and wait, you’ll start to see nice traps in no time, and heck, you may even end up with more than one plant! Patience is key, though.

Good luck!:-O

Just give it time to adjust to its new environment. VFts sometimes produce smaller traps for awhile after major changes in the environment. It should recover after a few weeks.

Back