What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about repotting

I got my VFT about a month ago or so and for a while it wasn't doing so well. Since giving it more sun and distilled water it's been getting stronger and looking healthier by the day. It ate a pill bug 7 days ago and it's still digesting it. I've read both good and bad about them eating pill bugs. Also, yesterday evening, it caught a fly. I then noticed last night that it really outgrowing the little pot it came in . . . literally. Out of one of the holes in the bottom of said plastic pot there is a root (stretched out it is nearly an inch long) coming out and starting to curl around the pot slightly. I guess the good thing is that it isn't rotted, but I haven't read anything like/about this on here. My question is: Would repotting it now be alright right now, I mean with it digesting two bugs and all and being a pretty young plant? I heard they can go into shock when repotted. It just came out of shock from being in that lame store just a couple of weeks ago and is just starting to really grow fast. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd wait. If it's growing well and recovering then the plant is in stable conditions. Plants can be a little root bound. Growth will significantly slow down and almost stop in a couple months anyway, so the best bet might be to just wait until right before the growing season next year to repot. Plus, just let it recover and get some more strength so if it goes into dormancy it has energy saved instead expended on root development and establishment.

xvart.

My favorite trick for this (usually needed on Sarracenia) I just tip the pot upside down, and uproot the plant in my hand, take the pot off just far enough for the roots to come through, then reset it in the pot. You would want to be very careful not to break the media ball though, or else you'll be right in that "need to repot" spot anyway.

Andrew

Thanks. I'll probably just leave it alone until both meals are taken care of and then try that.

Is the plant outside? There is no need to feed a VFT.

It is outside sometimes. I live in a small apartment on the second floor and have no balcony, so I can't really put it outside. However, it was outside when it caught both insects. I was at a friend's house and had brought my plant. Both times I was there with it and it was outside it caught insects. I didn't feed it.

well....when I had repotted my plants: a complete repot. It took like 1 month for them to resume growth. I had done an extensive wash of their roots and so on.

I'd wait. If it's growing well and recovering then the plant is in stable conditions. Plants can be a little root bound. Growth will significantly slow down and almost stop in a couple months anyway, so the best bet might be to just wait until right before the growing season next year to repot. Plus, just let it recover and get some more strength so if it goes into dormancy it has energy saved instead expended on root development and establishment.

xvart.

I agree. flytrap's root are very sensitive.
If there is no necessity, better don't move them.

I'm going to disagree here.

VFTs are quite tough and a complete repot will do nothing more than slow growth for a few days. You cannot harm a VFT by repotting in mid season - the only difficulty is trying not to trigger the traps.

It's like trying to diffuse a bomb sometimes :-))

I am no expert here either, but I have re pot my VFT twice this year, and it is doing quite well, I just tried to not kill the roots too much. It resumed growth within a week or so on both occasions.

Also, I have fed it a ton of pillbugs, is there some supposed problem with these? Mine had ten or so in may, and has grown 3 new offshoot rosettes since the feeding binge - - seemed like a good feed for it to me.

It's like trying to diffuse a bomb sometimes :-))

I sooo freakin agree! lol! :-D I remember the last time I was doing it...I was like.....easy now....easy....easy..and bamm! DAMNNNNNNNNNN! :censor:

:jester:

Hi guys !
Alexis if you trigger there traps what happens ?

Sincerely .................////////////////

I have to agree with Alexis....I dug several VFT's out of my bog this year and literally ripped them apart (they badly needed to be split). Most of them barely paused in their growth.....And I did this when they were in flower!

Back