What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couldn't help it...

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
A fresh shipment of VFT's just came into walmart today, so many healthy looking plants... I couldn't resist.

I picked up 4 tubes. 2 are about to flower and have multiple plants in each tube, one is a giant all green, the other is a giant deep red.

Too bad the camera wouldn't focus to show them off better. I wonder how off season they are.

wmvft1.JPG

wmvft2.JPG

wmvft3.JPG

wmvft4.JPG

Yeah, I saw a tray full of similar plants from the same nursery at OSH at the beginning of summer. I resisted buying one like #3 above but went back a few days later and they were all gone. They haven't gotten any more since. I've had no reason to hit Home Depot which usually stocks that "brand" of VFTs.

Good choices.

Why are they in little plastic prisons? ???

The red one looks very nice.

The red one looks very nice.

I just had to admit my guilt as soon as I got back from the store. :blush:

They are now free and meeting their new VFT buddies.

The red traps look great for being in the store. You can tell the shipment is fresh. I hope they play nice with all their new friends.

xvart.

It's kinda sad, they have them stacked on the lowest shelf with zero light. They won't be fresh for long, but I could only save so many. 8(

Oh man, lucky you with the nice find

I checked out walmart and Home deopt yesterday and found nothing.

Nice! It's good to see that you saved those plants. Unfortunately I live nowhere close to a Walmart. :-( oh well....

The DIYs in the States seem to sell most CPs in some sort of acrylic coffin (as pinglover on the ICPS board calls them). The containers are supposed to serve as a mini-terrarium. The main reason I suspect is just to keep the plants from drying out in shipment and to keep curious fingers out and customers from feeding the plants all sorts of rubbish.

An overview of typical US coffins can be found in this post

Nice! It's good to see that you saved those plants. Unfortunately I live nowhere close to a Walmart. :-( oh well....

Try Home Depot, they carry that "brand" (Bloomrite).

I've bought "packaged" vft's before. And I have to say that this brand has the best container. I have a feeling the plants are grown in a partial tube early on. Most brands that I've seen (the boxes, or cubes) end up with crushed parts that get caught during assembly. These all came out of the tube in prime shape. I don't think the pot can slide in the tube either which makes it nice for shipping.

It's kinda sad, they have them stacked on the lowest shelf with zero light. They won't be fresh for long, but I could only save so many. 8(

If i can, I also want to save them. but i was lives too far site.:crap:
that's too bad.

Omg these things have been hanging out for about 2 days and they are pure breed killers. The 4 new plants have already caught 12 flies on their own. Ugg I hope they don't kill themselves.

-Nate
wmvft5.JPG

Just so folks know, I got a flytrap from the Flytrap Shop that looks just like that third pic down. Brilliant red traps. Its a beaut. So, you can always get flytraps there which helps support the forums. :)

Back