What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nightmare begins agian!

I went outside yesterday to water my CPs, But when I was watering my VFT I noticed something was eating the leaves. It didn't take long to find what it was, since the plant is kind of small. It was a tomato fruitworm, which I've had problems with on my tomatoes. I immediately killed them and hoped there went anymore eggs on the leaves. My main problem with controlling them is that you cant really kill the adults before they lay their eggs, because they are moths. I have tried all the natural remedies I can, but they don't work. What can I do to keep the caterpillars off them? I have been told to use neem oil but cant find any neem based product anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find some neem based pesticides?

Try BT spray. It is used for catepillars. Infects them with bacteria and they die! Works on your tomato plants too.
Peter.

BT is great. I use BTi to control fungus gnats. No more fungus gnat problems.

Schultz's GardenSafe Fungicide3 is Neem oil based. You can find it in spray bottles at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. I use this on my VFTs and Sarracenia all the time.

Don't expect immediate results from either BT or Neem oil. They both work by disrupting the digestive or reproductiive functions of the pests. BT has to be ingested by the larvae and it blocks the gut lining so the larvae starves to death. Neem oil gums up the chewing parts and the ovipositors so the pests starve to death or cannot lay their eggs.

Back