What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Seeds sprouting late in season - what to do next?

Deleting post as per below. Will take my questions to a non-commercial site.

New to this forum (but not to CP's).

I'm looking for some opinions: I bought some VFT seeds off eBay in July and realized it was a bit late in the season to start growing them and figured I'll start in Spring 2008.

However, just out of a lark, I decided to sacrifice a few of the VFT seeds and sowed them to some live moss even without the cold stratification step. I didn't have a lot of hope as I was unsuccessful at growing VFT from seeds when I tried it years ago.

Lo and behold, a month later I noticed something other than moss sprouting. Now, I can positively identify it as tiny 2mm length VFT seedlings -- little traps and all! (Sidenote: I give a lot of credit to the quality of VFT seeds acquired from Whatcom Seed Company from whom I purchased off eBay).

But what next?

Should I let them adjust to the seasons/climate and go into hibernation naturally? Or should I continue to grow them under artificial light into Fall/Winter 2007 due to the potential fragility of the young seedlings?

They will be kept indoors throughout the year.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It's against the rules to mention other vendors other than the best vendor to exist, www.flytrapshop.com yup yup yup!

I'd let them follow the timeline, let them go into hibernation in winter and keep going.

It's not likely that the seedlings will build up enough starch reserves to survive dormancy in the time left. Not entierly impossible though. I'd put the majority of them under lights and keep the temps up. While skipping dormancy usually isn't the best thing to do you can get away with it for a year or two.

Since you still have seed you can afford to experiment. I trust you have your remaining seed in dry cold storage (refrigerated) as VFT seeds lose their viability in a short period of time (1-3 months)

I would sow them now and keep them under lights with no hibernation for several years, they will grow faster and you can enjoy them during a time when other plants are dormant.

Glad to see the posting police are on the job. NOT
Neci have you tried PMing newbies instead of degrading them in public.
Lois

NeciFix - it's not against the rules to mention other vendors. It's just bad manners to say "buy from suchandsuch.com" on a site run by someone trying to make a living. You've really got to watch your blunt posting style.

Sorry we weren't quick enough dealing with your complaint FlytrapLady - you can always click on 'report a post' to alert one of the volunteers here, who understandably are not here 24/7.

Your seedlings will survive the winter fine if sown September/October.

Back