What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Water requirements

I have three venus flytraps that I'm growing in pots in a terranium (in pots so I can put them outdoors for sunlight). Anyway... I understand they are particular about the water they receive, and that hard water is bad. I've also read that distilled water should be used since VFT do not like lots of minerals. My question is this, I get bottled water delivered to me (5 gallon containers), which is purified by reverse osmosis and carbon filtration... Does this make the water distilled, or is actual boiling and condensation required for distillation?

Reverse osmosis water is often even even more "pure" than distilled water. But I'm pretty sure the water you have delivered has minerals added back after it's been through RO. I use distlled (dehumidifier) water for VFTs, but others say any water with TDS (total dissolved solids) less than 50 - 100 ppm (depends who's talking) is OK.

Might want to check your PH on the RO water. I have just recently seen RO water that comes out purified with a PH of around 8.0. The input water was also about 8.0 as compared with distilled with is right about 7.0. From what I've heard VFT like it to be slightly acidic, so you'd want below 7.0

Around me a water analysis only costs $15.00.
Check with local nurseries about getting one and if that fails ask at a pharmacy or your doctor.

Come to think of it you should be able to get a copy of the analysis from your water service.
The lower the dissolved solids the better and avoid salts period.
You can always adjust your ph with vinegar, I prefer apple cider vinegar but thats because I was making a 10 gallon batch of hard cider that went bad and couldn't bring myself to dump $75.00 down the drain.

Can you set up a plastic trash barrel to collect rainwater?

I get bottled water delivered to me (5 gallon containers), which is purified by reverse osmosis and carbon filtration...

That sounds like very good water to me, but check they haven't added anything else afterwards (although I don't see the point of reverse osmosis if they're going to add stuff afterwards).

That sounds like very good water to me, but check they haven't added anything else afterwards (although I don't see the point of reverse osmosis if they're going to add stuff afterwards).
Lots of companies like to add minerals for flavor. Coke and it's ilk add salt to their bottled water lines so you can't claim that it is just municipal water, which it is.
Absopure adds iron and calcium in my area. They claim that it is the taste of the general populace from a given location that dictates their additives or its just some flim flam the delivery guy was spouting to me.

Thanks for your help, I will check with the company about adding minerals.

Back