What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my VFT entering dormancy?

Hi,

My VFT out grew his pot, so I re-potted him.

However, he seems to have gone all floppy! (although his mouths have re-opened now).

Is he starting to enter dormancy? If so how is the best way to look after him through the cold winter?

Thank you

Jo

First of all, welcome to the forums!

PJ, if you just repotted the plant is most likely in shock and will need to readjust to it's new conditions. Give it a few weeks and it should be fine. If you're in North America most plants are now sensing dormancy is upon us and are in the process of preparing for for the winter.

Hi,

Thank you so much I was starting to worry, I'm in England and the wintery weather is just getting started. Is there anything I can do to make sure that my VFT is comfortable over the winter?

Kind regards

Jo

Your plant is probably fine..
but just for future reference, this is a really bad time of year to repot anything..
much better to only repot in the spring, so the plant has a whole growing season to recover from the repotting before entering dormancy..

the plant would have been fine if you waited until spring to re-pot it..
but whats done is done, and it probably ok.

Where are you planning to keep the plant over the winter?

Scot

Hi,

I've got a glass bowl which is sits in with its water and that has a lid with it as I was told to keep them humid and warm. So it's basically like it's own little greenhouse.

I hope that this is right and i've not been told wrong.

I take the lid off daily to give him some fresh air and time to catch food and then it is on a night when it gets colder.

Jo

At this time of year, VFTs will be growing less quickly and a few of the summer leaves will have turned black.

Proper dormancy (a cessation of growth) is about 4 or 5 weeks away.

Your VFT will be happier just on windowsill or in a greenhouse over the growing season (a stagnant bowl will encourage fungus). Your plant will be able to sense the hours of daylight are decreasing and it will need to go somewhere cold around the middle of November.

Welcome to TF! ...and Let's go Sox! Another approach to its dormancy is to have the plant, as is, by a window sill in an/your attic, for the winter. But now is not the time to move it there. The plant is likely in shock for now and will need time to recover. That is best done by NOT changing its conditions unless they are really bad. I would have it outside, on a porch, with lots of indirect sunlight. Notice: the more people who respond, the more confusing replies you get! BTW, Mr. Chaos & Alexis know their stuff!

Many thanks for everyone's help, I have found this site very helpful and informative, I shall now be a regular reader :)

Thanks again to you all, and kind regards
Jo

Just think of us as a global family, with one common hobby, and a lot of sibling rivalry!

Back