What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grown inside, outside dormancy? MAN! I have alot o' questions!

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I grow all my plants inside under flourescent tubes. Winter is coming and they won't enter dormancy naturally because it is always warm in my room. What should I do for dormancy? Maybe fridge? Maybe outside? (it gets usually around 60 in winter here) I can't make up my mind. GAAH!
Here are some pics:

img_1386.jpg

img_1388.jpg

img_1389.jpg

Put them outside.They may be shocked from the sunlight but they will be ok,just let them get acclimated the sun.Where do you live?It would be helpful in answering you questions.

Jerry

Below los angeles, in Ventura county. (southern CA)

That's a big lithops! I also love the Star Wars book. Probably one of my favorite cut-away books.

xvart.

johnnyfrye, your sarracenia looks like it is already in dormancy.

I think your sarracenia looks seriously light starved personally. Look at it gasping, trying to reach some light.

You have an ideal climate for growing them outdoors 24/7/365!
you should take advantage of that! some of us would love to have your winter climate for our plants! ;)

I just googled climate data for LA, and found this for average temps:

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/California/Los Angeles County/temp.png

Its a bit on the warm side for VFT and Sarr winter dormancy, but not too bad..
If you have temps in the 40's and 50's in January, you are pretty well set for winter dormancy.

I would put all your plants outside, in full sunlight, right now, and leave them there for the next several decades..you cant go wrong with that climate!

Scot

I would put the VFT and Sarracenias outside, permanently but the sundew could grow either way. Please take the plastic cover off, though. Looks like the sundews in question are actually D. capensis. They grow well at window sills and don't require a dormancy, but can take temps a little above freezing. Mine are currently outside, here in the Buffalo area, but we are having an extended summer, withtemps in the 70's and 80's. But when fall actuallly arrives I will bringing them inside.

IMG_0030-1.jpg

IMG_0047-1.jpg

You have an ideal climate for growing them outdoors 24/7/365!
you should take advantage of that! some of us would love to have your winter climate for our plants! ;)

I just googled climate data for LA, and found this for average temps:

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/California/Los Angeles County/temp.png

Its a bit on the warm side for VFT and Sarr winter dormancy, but not too bad..
If you have temps in the 40's and 50's in January, you are pretty well set for winter dormancy.

I would put all your plants outside, in full sunlight, right now, and leave them there for the next several decades..you cant go wrong with that climate!

Scot

Well, it might seem like that, but it is so dry and arid here that it is really hard to grow them outside. (no humidity at all!) My first venus flytrap ever got killed by the sunlight. I felt the water in the tray, and it was so hot I immediately took mah hand out. Sa as you can see, I have had a pretty bad experience growing them outside. And thanks for the dormancy advice, guys. They will do fine outside during winter. But do my plants look healthy? And i'm not sure what the heck is happening with the sarracenia.

Your plants could look healthier my fellow Californian. I too, also suggest moving them outside ASAP. I live in the high desert south of Mojave and I grow my VFTs, my temperate dew, and sarrs almost all year long outside. (In fact, they all survived temperatures that got up to 110F in FULL SUN this summer!)

I am willing to bet anything that the average year round humidity in all of Ventura County is much higher than here in Palmdale, in the hot, dry, baking desert. :) VFTs and sarrs are actually very tolerant of strong sun, low humidity, and high temperatures when acclimated properly.

Now that autumn has begun, the seasonal change will acclimate your plants to the outside for you and after dormancy they will be already set to grow in the beautiful sun!

Good luck!

There are quite a few TF members in Ventura County: Noah, Peter, Forbes, and Matthew to name a some. Your CPs will thrive in the Mediterranean climate.

Even down here in Los Angeles dormancy is not a problem for outdoor plants. Your winters if anything are a few degrees colder than where I am.

As long a the plants get a shortened photoperiod and winter temps are lower than summer temps they probably will go dormant.

I understand outdoor growing / frying completely... trust me! The key to going from indoor to outdoor is acclimating. If you have some sort of porch to put the plants under, for a few weeks, and transition them slowly, then you can successfully get them adjusted to the California sun. If not a porch, then a northeast exposure, or something that givs them a lot of indirect light, initially. Really, VFT's and Sarracenias need to be outside.

But do my plants look healthy? And i'm not sure what the heck is happening with the sarracenia.

I've told you three times now in your numerous threads.

YOUR SARRACENIA IS STARVED OF LIGHT. Hence the weak, leggy growth.

Just put them outside, Sarrecenia don't need very high humidity.

Back