What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DORMANCY - please read

Alexis

A lot of questions about dormancy in VFTs have been appearing over the last couple of weeks.

As a general rule, during October, venus flytraps will still be growing, but will more likely be growing ground hugging fall leaves.

Older summer traps will be dying off and going black. It's quite normal for a VFT to have quite a few black leaves at this time of year. Just snip them off.

Dormancy is not a switch, but a gradual process. Nobody's VFT will be dormant at this time of year, just preparing for the coming winter which is signalled by the decreasing daylight.

I recommend everybody reads http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2460.html and thinks about how they will be giving their plants a dormant period in the next 4, 5 or 6 weeks.

A dormant plant in the depths of winter will merely be a plant which has stopped growing. 95% of the time it will not die back to nothing, but still retain its fall leaves over winter. Gradually they may die back over winter and you can snip these off.

Finally, it's recommended that VFTs are kept damp, not wet over winter.

Bump.

xvart.

Double bump. ;)

Oddly enough, I've noticed that all my different VFT's (grown indoors under artificial light) have had a sudden growth spurt. And a mix of low foliage and taller foliage.

At first, last month, I thought they had started their dormancy procedure as they all looked smaller than summer-size and traps were sluggish. Then this month they all rebound with a zest for life!
13surprise.gif

Perhaps they're gearing up for true-dormancy?? 'dunno.......
07confused.gif

Just in case some one missed it bump. :)

Back