What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Edit: People please post! 24 views? Holy crap! And ZERO comments?! At least tell me it's not special, don't just leave! Urrg :(.

When I first started growing CPs I ordered some Dionaea from an eBay seller, now, I didn't know much about CP's, only the basics. When I got them, I noticed one looked sort of... odd... compared to the pictures of Venus Flytraps I had seen on Barry's site and all over the internet and the other ones I received, but, nonetheless, I really didn't go into it and potted the four of them up. It had regular looking smallish traps at first, none worked, and they never really did except on one occasion, and the teeth were extremely short and bristly, not merged together but looked like little tiny, really tiny, sharp needles. The plant proceeded to make a decent sized very odd toothless malformed trap, it was then being very spontaneous in it's growth, the traps have gotten smaller and smaller and lack teeth, or are like little bristles as mentioned above, sort of like Cudo. The traps are almost completely shut at two sides and the middle of the trap is open, most of the LEAVES are curvy on both sides, almost to the point of touching, some look like Drosera caducas non-carnivorous leaves, but otherwise look normal, they dwarf the traps. The traps are about the size of the neighboring 'Petite Dragon' and it is consistently low to the ground.

This odd growth has been going on for at LEAST 6 months, if not 8 or more. It on rare occasion puts out a normal trap, but, they rarely work and the teeth are still odd. I'm beginning to believe this is consistent, I have not taken any leaf cuttings for fear of it's death. The traps/leaves don't prematurely die, but, merely look malformed and a lot like 'Cudo'. It also on occasion, meaning it usually has at least one trap like this out of the bunch, has what seems to be two traps merged together, not like side to side merged but it is double the length of the regular small trap size and in the middle of the trap it's a lot thinner, which makes it seem like halfway through it created another trap on the middle part, it's sort of hard to explain. I'd get some pictures if it wasn't being overshadowed by many other strong, erect, Dionaea in the same 8 inch pot, but, check back, I may try and it could turn out alright! It's growth speed is slower than normal, about the speed of my Cephalotus (though, my Cephalotus seems to be a little quicker than what people describe). Perhaps if it awakens from dormancy like this, I may have something... any thoughts?

P.S. Looking at pictures of Cudo, it does have significant differences.

Some low-qual Webcam pics:

2007100701493jf3.jpg
Just a shot of the plant and one of it's effed up traps.

2007100701509nd0.jpg
Odd "double merged" trap I talked about.

2007100701610ty6.jpg
- 'Petite Dragon' left, Malformed VFT to the right.

I think the problem is the fact that we just can't see anything in those pictures... :(

Well I only have a webcam. Then just comment on the post.

Edit: People please post! 24 views? Holy crap! And ZERO comments?! At least tell me it's not special, don't just leave! Urrg :(.

Patience! It was only an hour before the first reply. 24 views is not a whole lot; especially since it was morning in the US. Just because nobody posts in an hour doesn't mean anything. It means you need to have some patience and wait a little longer.

On topic, it doesn't look like 'cudo.' The leaves are too long. I would think that it's either jacked up because of pests (but your other plants in the pot are fine?) or because of residual hormones still in the plant's system. Anyways, I think 'cudo' is ugly.

There: you have another post!

xvart.

Patience! It was only an hour before the first reply. 24 views is not a whole lot; especially since it was morning in the US. Just because nobody posts in an hour doesn't mean anything. It means you need to have some patience and wait a little longer.

On topic, it doesn't look like 'cudo.' The leaves are too long. I would think that it's either jacked up because of pests (but your other plants in the pot are fine?) or because of residual hormones still in the plant's system. Anyways, I think 'cudo' is ugly.

There: you have another post!

xvart.

I edited it in the morning I believe and posted it at night. I'm not sure though. Sorry. Yeah, I did notice some significant differences. It's been like this for a long time though. I'll try a leaf pulling and see what happens. The other plants are very healthy and nice looking.

Yep, you did post at night. I misread the AM/PM. Still, people will post when they want to if they want to. Try a pulling and see what happens.

xvart.

Back