What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT has shrivled leaves and traps are inside out (with photos)

Hi,

I'm new to VFTs and I currently have 2, both bought from a local garden centre.

They were the best there was.

I always clear dead or black leaves but can't help notice that leaves appear to be shrivled and the traps inside out (hope that makes sense).

Photos:
http://www.smulp.co.uk/vft/

Also I have small white fly on it, would a standard Plant Bug spray be OK to use.

I keep them on a Window sill in a plastic terrarium on stones above water.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks
Smulp

If you mean the traps with the edges of the trap folded back, that trap wont work anymore. They were probably touched buy too many times. Mine also do this occasionally if they catch a large bug. They will stay green but just be used for photosynthesis's.

I don't know much about the other stuff so I'll leave those answers to the experts.

wow..that VFT looks really bad man! It looks as if it is suffering from a pest. If it was just low light....the leaves would be exactly like that... LONG and small traps but not CRINKLED up like that. So....I am sorry but there is something very bad with that VFT.

I would suggest that if you try to grow it in full sun and see if it recovers. Plants exposed to the elements are normally more healthier than the ones grown more softly inside. See if growing them outside in the full sun gives it a recovery. If I was to GUESS..I would say that it is SPIDER mites. The sap is being sucked out of the plant.

I would say pests and overheating in your box. How hot does it get inside the box? It's definitely not necessary and only really traps in excessive heat.

xvart.

You have a pest, possibly aphids.

Spray with insecticide.

Thanks for everyone's advise, I have sprayed them with a bug spray, so hopefully this should kill them.

I will try it out in the direct daylight to see if they pickup.

I'm not sure how hot the box gets, I read that they like the warmth so did this know the temps we have in the UK, I will also open the vents.

Keep you posted.

Thanks again.

No need for the box - it just encourages fungus.

For winter you can either leave it on the windowsill and it will grow farily weakly due to lack of sun and come back in the spring, or you can give ita proper dormancy somewhere cold for the winter.

Remember to only give them rain/distilled water.

I don't know about dormancy for a weak plant. All my weak plants that went into dormancy last season died. :( But, hey...I did the unpot..fridge method...so I don't know if doing a regular dormancy works better.

I don't know about dormancy for a weak plant. All my weak plants that went into dormancy last season died. :( But, hey...I did the unpot..fridge method...so I don't know if doing a regular dormancy works better.
I can account for this. In my case, it worked and in spring they came back wonderfully.

Holy crap! That is the worst looking Venus Flytrap I've ever seen! Yikes! I hope the insecticide works, if it IS pests then that's the worst pest damage ever! They sucked that thing dry. Literally!

Hi SMULP. The bugs all over the plant leaves look like aphids. They suck the plant juices and cause the distorted, crumpled leaves on your plant. I would suggest you find a good systemic insecticide to use. This would eliminate the little sap suckers.

Back