What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats Up???

I have been keeping Neps for many years but am relatively new to keeping VFT's. I currently have 7 different types/cultivars of VFT's and my newest one is Low Giant. It seems to be producing a flower stalk when my other VFT's seem to be slowing growth in preparation for winter/dormancy. By the way I grow my VFT's all outdoors under full sunlight. Is it normal for this VFT to produce a flower stalk at this time of year? Should I cut it ? Will I have problems in the spring ie is this plants growing cycle backwards? Don't really know as this is first year I have kept VFT's.

If the plant is recently out of Tissue Culture its cycles can be out of sync with the natural environment - it has spent most of its life under artificial lights and controlled temperatures and humidity. You can often see Tissue Cultured VFTs in the dead of winter in Garden Centers sporting flower stalks.

And then some plants seemed to get confused and start producing flowers in the fall - Sarracenia do this now and then.

The plants internal clock/calendar will eventually sync up with the environment.

My advice would be to clip the flower so the plant could use the energy for more productive things.

Thanks for the info. Will cut today before it grows larger. This seems like a older plant but may have been grown under artificial light. Did not think of this. Thanks again.

Flower buds happen time for time in the fall.

I've had two flower buds out of about 30 plants this last week.

Alexis, Do you cut the stalks or let them go? I do not need seed and went ahead and cut but have also been told this could produce even more flower stalks????

I snip them!

I always cut them off, even in spring. I have enough VFTs so don't need any more seed. Sometimes they'll grow another one soon after, but I don't know if that's related to cutting off the first one. I do tend to wait until the stalk is about 5cm tall though and don't cut when the stalk is just appearing.

Back