What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wot's in da Trap?

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
If you're not around to see what the flytraps catch you can sometimes make out its meal by holding up the leaf against a light source. Usually you have to wait for the trap to open.

This 'Sawtooth' trap caught three meals. One right after the other. First was a "hover fly". A day after the trap reopened for business it caught one of those iridescent green-orange "turd flies". After that a spider. None of the other traps have caught anything on their own. I suppose as in the restaurant business the 3 most important things are Location! Location! Location!:
01720003.jpg

Next - The "Bee" in the 'B52' (groan!)
01730011.jpg

Finally - the slobbering 'Cupped Trap'
This plant flowered constantly from Feb thru Aug as a result trap production suffered. It seems incapable of catching anything on its own as the traps don't close enough on the initial closing. I fed it a cold stunned cricket which managed to get partially out of the trap before it tightened its grip. A few days later digestive fluid started seeping out:
01720008.jpg

I always see yellow jackets buzzing around the traps... nothing else.

Back