What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mite or bugs in soil

This is my second winter for my two VFTs. I was doing some trimming of dead traps and leaves when i noticed tiny white insects on the soil. They don't seem to go near the plant, but there are quite a lot of them on both plants.

And in some crevices in the soil of each of the plants there is a green snotty frogspawn type ooze, perhaps some sort of eggs?

Also on the soil of one of my plants i have bright green tufts of crass or moss, they are very small and quite pretty, reminds me of small crystal formations.

I'm ok if i am growing my own little eco system/civilisation but if these are problems i would rather get rid of them.

But a picture tells a thousand words so some macro shots can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digicasts/sets/72157602941933905/

I appreciate any advice.

FYI i am in London and my plants sit on a south facing window, i didn't put them into dorm last year as they were new, so will be putting them in the garage this year after dunking in fungicide.

Thanks

thanks

mine are very small though, less than a 1mm

thanks

any ideas about the funky grass and green goop?

thanks for your help

Peat, as with any soil, will eventually be colonised by mosses and lichens. THey're othing to worry about, athough replacing the top half centimetre of peat every year will keep things looking fresh from a purely aesthetic point of view.

Back