What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I feel stupid!!!

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well forgetting how cold it was getting I left my plants out for too long. I walked over one day I found my bog fozen and inch down, around my 5 vfts, 3 of witch are seedlings, my dosereas browning and near death, and my S. pupurea looking like nothing ever happened. So I rushed them in and placed them in hot water for the night. The damage wasn't to bad so there is no problem. I can't believe the vft's started growing again! the dosereas are both with one unharmed steam at least and the pupurea, well no worries at all.:blush:

I placed it here because I have more vfts then any thing else.

How cold has it been getting up there? Here in RI we've had frosts, but nothing major. Maybe around 25 degrees F has been our coldest so far?

Anyway, imho, the plants were probably just fine. Especially since you've been growing them outside and they've been acclimating to the chilly temps. VFTs and Sarracenia aren't tropical...they can handle a modest freeze.

In fact, I think the sudden shock of the warm water was probably worse for them than the freeze was. Seeing as your VFT started growing again, you might've even kick-started it out of dormancy...

n fact, I think the sudden shock of the warm water was probably worse for them than the freeze was. Seeing as your VFT started growing again, you might've even kick-started it out of dormancy...
Beat me to it Presto. I lost more VFTs and Sundews as a noob because I brought them in when they were frozen. This year my D. scorpioides, D. filiformis, D. binata and various Sarracenia seedlings have been frozen several times and the only ones that seem to be bothered are the ones I didn't keep watered and they are making a comeback (at least the ones that didn't turn to dust are :blush: ) If you feel a need to bring them in, do it after the day has warmed up a bit (lunch time works for me) and bring them in then. My temps have been in the low 20°f to mid 30°f range at night.

So I rushed them in and placed them in hot water for the night.

ahh!! very bad..
thats much worse than just leaving them outside where they were..
no need to ever warm up plants like that! thats way to shocking for them.

just move them to a garage or wherever their "winter storage area" is going to be and let the slowly thaw out.

the purp will be totally fine with the freeze, VFT probably fine..they can take a short-term freeze without too much trouble.

what kind of Drosera are we talking about?
and where are you keeping the plants for their winter dormancy?

Scot

A cape that has made it through and a lance leaf sundew that I let thaw with the purp.

My D. capensis is outside frozen lol along with everything else, plants are in weak pots so they keep falling into the bushes, they are undamaged but keep getting unpotted. I need to get them to my friend soon! Good thing it's not TOO cold yet though, I did have a large plastic container full of water with the plants in it, I come back the next morning and the pots are frozen in ice! Aughk! Nobody's dead, but, it's getting too cold. All my Mexi Pings and the like are inside scattered around windows. Pretty sure I killed some D. graminifolia and D. adelae (among a few other things) when we got a flash freeze. Oh well, felt bad for a minute but got to move on >.<. The plant in the best condition would be my Cephalotus lol, he's been safely inside in the bright window the whole time while his comrades fight the Wisconsin winter and huddle around windows in the kitchen.

Back