What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Producing Seeds

How long does it take for the flower to fully blacken with 100% finished seeds?

Someone knows. You just need to patient; especially since it is a holiday weekend.

xvart.

Barry Rice's FAQ says "a few weeks"

The Savage Garden
says about six weeks.

How can you self pollinate them?Rub the flower with your fingers?

How can you self pollinate them?Rub the flower with your fingers?

Since Dionaea and Drosera are in the same family Droseraceae the flowers have similar structures. This sticky on flower anatomy applies. Pollination techniques are discussed.

the flower self pollinates itself..........

and thanks, so 3-6 weeks, got it

My windowsill VFT only produced seed when I hand pollinated it and I had that puppy for about 12 years.

Hand or insect pollination will usually yield better (more and larger) seeds. Plus pollinating between plants will give better genetic diversity and lessen the chance of deleterious genes accumulating.

Since Dionaea and Drosera are in the same family Droseraceae the flowers have similar structures. This sticky on flower anatomy applies. Pollination techniques are discussed.

My windowsill VFT only produced seed when I hand pollinated it and I had that puppy for about 12 years.

Hand or insect pollination will usually yield better (more and larger) seeds. Plus pollinating between plants will give better genetic diversity and lessen the chance of deleterious genes accumulating.

wait, u need to hand pollinate the flowers, i left them alone and never touched them

does that mean they were never pollinated thus no seeds?

They may have self-pollinated. Just because my indoor VFT never did that doesn't rule it out. If your plants are outdoors something with more than 4 legs probably did the job for you. Time will tell.

they didnt, it fully blackened and l cracked them open and nothing so next I know what to do

wait, u need to hand pollinate the flowers, i left them alone and never touched them

does that mean they were never pollinated thus no seeds?
When VFT flowers 1st open, the pollen is mature & typically friable and ready for pollinators. However, the stamen is not yet receptive. Check out Bob Z's pics - the stamen flares out at the end when it is ready for pollen - usually day 2 or day 3 after opening. This is a method the flower uses to prevent self-pollination. However unlike some Drosera (petiolaris...), the plants are self fertile - just use pollen from a freshly-opened flower to pollinate a receptive stamen. However, if you're going to this trouble and have several plants flowering - why not cross-pollinate?

As you wander through the kingdom of CP, you will find plants that are self-fertile & self-pollinating, some that are self-fertile but not self-pollinating and some that are neither self-fertile nor self-pollinating. Tends to be best to not assume that nature will handle the chores ....

BTW - often a reason for not getting a response is that the question has been answered many times before. As Andrew's signature reminds everyone - the search function is a very powerful ally in our quest for knowledge ...

oh...why did i think VFT selfpolinate themselves...

Well thanks to the hot weather we've been having of late one of my typicals decided to put up another flower stalk. The last one a couple months ago was enormous on this plant. Unfortunately the plant has very little color. If I'm crazy may be I'll let it produce seed although I'd prefer to cross pollinate from other plants. You're welcome to seeds if I should go against my better judgement.

Back