What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 1 year old babies

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Check this out. these are now one year old babies from seeds that I got from Brad exactly an year ago. the interesting thing is the variation among the same seeds. I see some that are like pygmies and some that are like giants.

This tub is a little 4 inch plastic container. I sooo don't want to repot them as they look soo nice. Infact...the peat is still sooo fresh that I can still smell the freshness of the peat as it was 1 year ago. i am just astounded that this is the only time I have ever had peat retain its freshness that much. No wonder the plants are doing soo well.

Infact these are my best flytraps ever.

Note that they haven't been in dormancy and will not go through dormancy this time as well. I plan to keep growing them for 2 yrs before putting them through a dormancy.

Now the question is :

Should I repot them?? I am getting new pots and am planning a new setup soon. 3.5 inch square pots. Do u think I should leave them like this or give them more leg room? I kinda like the cuties like this :) But obviously I will repot them if it will kill them if I don't. ???

2067844260_fdc4e06367_o.jpg

2042367482_f8cf6c6ae8_o.jpg

2041569399_e15be8595a_o.jpg

Note an interesting aspect.... THE MOSS SUDDENLY transformed and changed to a different shape.

very bad pic...but that long moss type suddenly opened up and became kinda like star moss.

2067051469_72a12508e1_o.jpg

cheers,

varun

awesome pics man, i cant believe they are so big after 1 year growing from seeds

sooo big? dude...the biggest one u see there is like only over 1 inch. :p it will take atleast 2 yrs to reach good size. :)

about repotting, I wouldn't bother yet.
But i guess it wouldn't harm to move the bigger ones to seperate pots

Wow! Those traps are sooooo beautiful! How did you get them to be so red?

And how did you get those seedlings to get so big?

How do you keep the peat moss so fresh for over a year?

Wow! Those traps are sooooo beautiful! How did you get them to be so red?

And how did you get those seedlings to get so big?

How do you keep the peat moss so fresh for over a year?

sooo big? dude...the biggest one u see there is like only over 1 inch.

He just misleads us with close ups and macro shots to make em look huge ^^
but yes nice job they look really awesome

They look great. Very nice, vraev.

It seems like you have lots of luck with sphagnum! :)

well! not necessarily joossa! I have been having big issues with my large flytraps recently. For some reason the media is compacting after 4 months and the plants are heading to shock traps. :( I am still experimenting with media combinations.

Thanks guys. I am honest. I seriously don't know how the peat in this is actually still fresh. None of the other pots give the aroma of the fresh peat any more. And infact this is the tub with the oldest soil in my collection so far. I seriosuly don't know why its soo good. As you can see thats why I am hesitant about repotting.

lol! it is a macro in the second pic :-))

Dude if its growing, don't touch it!

I guess u r right. However, I will probably remove some of the seedlings which are really small and look like pygmies. The moss will be covering them up and I don't want them to die. You never know what they might turn out to. ;)

TOP JOB!!!

They look fantastic!

I got my seeds from Brad about a year ago. Unfortunately they had 2 months to germinate and grow before winter and then summer 2007 in the UK was awful (we didn't even reach 78F) - cold and wet. Now their second dormancy is approaching, but they're still very much alive, albeit very smal!

thanks Alexis. Why don't u grow them indoors then? these are in a 4 inch tub. pretty small. Any nice table lamp with a CFL daylight bulb can take care of them :)

I'm afraid sarracenia seedlings get the prime real estate indoors.
I'm sure the VFTs will romp away next year though.

aaah! gotcha! meh! I don't bother with sarrs too much. They grow too tall. They NEED to be grown outdoors. I don't have that flexibility. :(

These are updated pics taken yest. You see my adult VFTs... the B52 finally recovered after loosening the media and trichoderma usage

topleft : typical. Suffered heavily.... some of those leaves are 5 months old...just becos nothing could form as all it made were shock traps. it is just starting to recover in time for dormancy. :(
topright: dentate. Didn't skip a beat. media never got packed due to the other plants in the pot...kept going strong
bottom left: B52. As u see the deformed traps...they are the remnants of the shock trap season. new traps are now looking good
bottom right: red dragon. After tall erect leaves...its going rosette in time for winter.

I sent off these plants with my mom to keep in the garage.

2084017378_7c9f35e047_o.jpg

This is a pic of the seed tub. ;)

2084017330_67f638bf02_o.jpg

Notice how the moss has like "transformed" ;) its become a lot thicker and taller.

what's the current soil combination your using right now? that moss looks likes its really taking off... did it take the whole year to begin?

The sundews look awesome... As do the VFTs but I spent more time staring at the sundews :p

Wow, those are gorgeous! :hail:

I agree. Very nice indeed! As of now, all of my Dionaea look like crap... I'm jealous. :evil:

yeah....the moss seems to for some reason just accelerate. I don't know why or how. One day I just woke up to notice that the short hairy carpet moss is being overrun by this star shaped moss (which is not polytrichum).

Thanks guys. :blush:

taken couple of days ago: hurried to get the cam and get the pic before the flowers go.

2102854790_89026c9480.jpg

I am using the same standard peat + perlite mix. Nothing different from the ordinary.

If u are interested...with the dates:

pic21rv1.jpg

By vraev at 2006-12-31

1601071930ei1.jpg

By vraev at 2007-01-16

dmseedsgr5.jpg

By vraev at 2007-02-18

sometime in june
554290984_88ba00f1f1_o.jpg

I guess I never really bothered taking pics of the tub from like feb..becos it was like VFT seedlings with 3 or 4 leaves. :p

Back