What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy BareRoot questions

Hey everyone! this is my first time owning up to make a thread I've been watching for a while though! and its been great and I'm going to be a name on this forum eventually once I get my shelves of beauty going. eitherway in the meantime I'm considering buying a bunch of different cultivars of VFT's to go along with my collection I currently only have like 8 or so and I need more of course so I've never ordered Bareroot from websites and I'm skeptical whats the potting process usually like for these and is the condition of the plant usually bad becuase of this choice of shipping?

THANKS!

bareroot usually comes just fine
generally wrapped in LFS
Ask adnedarn more on the subject, he owns flytrapshop.com which is the sponsored website as we are not aloud to mention other sites.
his name is Andy and im sure he would more than happily help you out with those questions that need answering ;)

-Kris

Hello, Venus flytraps ship perfectly fine bare root. In a way, it's kinda safer because if the USPS folks get rough... the plant is still safe. No matter how well a plant is shipped potted... if handled rough enough it's going to get damaged. Bare root though, there really isn't anything going to hurt it. Short of extended time in the box, extreme heat/cold.

As far as potting it up, you just make sure you have some CP safe media on hand (typically fertilizer FREE perlite and peat ( 1 part peat 1 part perlite) or peat and silica sand (again 1 part sand 1 part peat) prewet and mix the media, put it in a pot, make a hole, stick the VFT in there, gently push the media around the plant and water from above with acceptable water (distilled/reverse osmosis/ deionized) and that's it!

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)
Andrew

Welcome to TF! Your forum name looks so familiar.

Back