What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First CP is a VFT, need help!

it certainly wont do it any more harm to leave it out for the night, just turn them on in the morning. it should be fine.

presto, i already told him about the windows lol i beat you to that.

Yeah...there were about 6 posts made in the time it took me to write that one. I take a lot of time choosing my words.

I'm just not a big fan of the idea of terraria for VFTs. Between their sun requirements and need for seasons, they are far from ideal plants. And especially since this plant is not healthy, and perhaps already half-dormant, I would try and give it winter-like conditions, to give it a break. Just my 2 cents.

yeah
i agree with giving it the winter conditions...will help store energy for spring and then BOOM great growth and healthy plant.
and my plants do fine in my terrarium.
though i will move them out soon or open the terrarium up a little.
but i have my new N. Madagascariensis growing in it.
but all of my plants seem to be just fine with how i am growing them.

I won't be able to put it in the north window until after Christmas, so exactly what should I do guys?

keep it in the lights you have now
then after christmas, place it in the window if possible.
but as a north window, i dont know much light you will get to the plant.

Ok, so let me go through my action points:

1. Take plant out of terrarium
  2. Put it in the aquarium
  3. In the morning turn on the lights
  4. After soil is just damp, put in a bowl of 1/4" water
  5. After XMas put in north window

Sound good?

i dont like the north window part, too bad you dont have any others...
i would actually leave it in the terrarium, in or out, its not going to matter because your going to put it back in.
unless you have another way if suspending the light over the plant, your terrarium is about the only option you have right now.

Looks like I'll be buying one for my CP's earlier than expected. I think I am going to be getting some shelves from my mom that will hold multiple aquariums. We have no east facing windows so most of the good light will have to come from bulbs. I know I have an old desklamp somewhere, I could get a plant light for that and just put it under it. Would that work ok?

a desk lamp isnt going to do very much....
the cheapest you can do, and it is cheap trust me
is go to home depot or lowes or some hardware store
buy one of the 8 dollar pre-wired shoplight fixtures
and buy some 2 dollar soft white or daylight fluorescent tubes for it.
id get about 2 light fixtures and 4 bulbs for each rack you are doing.

Ok, sounds good. I'll take some more pictures in a couple days to see if there are ANY differences. I really do appreciate the help! Hope you and yours has an excellent Holiday!

here are a couple of my dentate traps i am growing with a 65w Fluorex light and a 26w repti glo bulb.
CPs064.jpg

have an excellent holiday yourself, hope everything goes well with you!
if your VFT doesnt live, just get another when you know you can grow it.
andy here has a nice little selection of VFTs that he can happily sell you.
http://flytrapshop.com
he always sends healthy plants, so hes a good seller.

have an excellent holiday yourself, hope everything goes well with you!
if your VFT doesnt live, just get another when you know you can grow it.
andy here has a nice little selection of VFTs that he can happily sell you.
http://flytrapshop.com
he always sends healthy plants, so hes a good seller.

When I get live traps that is where I will get them from for sure. I have seeds on order now. I used to by from ***** Seed, but have switched to ****com for my love of strange plants. I will be investing in some better lighting for the CP's for sure. At my office where I start Non CP's I actually have a couple of Mini greenhouses and shop light type setups. I have also started making Micro terrariums and will post some pictures when I get a sprout or two. Thanks again!

ooooh watch the adverts ;\ andy doesnt like it when people mention suppliers, so edit that out mate.
as far as seeds
eek
germination is a pain
and it takes years for them to mature.
have fun lol

ooooh watch the adverts ;\ andy doesnt like it when people mention suppliers, so edit that out mate.
as far as seeds
eek
germination is a pain
and it takes years for them to mature.
have fun lol

I have 2 seeds that came with a kit stratifying right now. We'll see what happens with them. I was going to go with a 50/50 of peat moss and perlite. Will that work?

thats what i use.
if the kit is one of those dunecraft things
chances are, it wont work....its a peace of crap

thats what i use.
if the kit is one of those dunecraft things
chances are, it wont work....its a peace of crap

No, its one of those mini impulse buys from a bookstore, it came with a book, the seeds, a peat disc, non bleached silica sand, a pot and a plastic bag to put it in for humidity. It is called Grown Your Own Venus Flytrap. Nifty little package.

oh ive seen this
but dont be upset if the seeds dont do anything....

oh ive seen this
but dont be upset if the seeds dont do anything....

That's why I ordered more seeds :)

It's getting late, better get this ready. Thanks again!

Last edited:
good luck with that though, like i said
slow maturity.
1 year seedlings are only about the size of a dime or a little larger
not too impressive.
3 years will be about average size and it should be mature by then

Back