What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First CP is a VFT, need help!

whowe

Willie
My nephew's step grandma gave him this plant tonight. He is staying with my son and wanted to trade me for some magic cards. I couldn't say no, but I'm looking at this plant and I'm a little concerned, I don't know if it is going dormant or if it is dying. What should I do with this plant. All help is greatly appreciated!

whflytrap2.jpg

thing looks crazy etoliated
get it in some good light as soon as you can.
its the same as my first VFT
looks like the same mini terrarium too
take the terrarium off, put the plant on a east windowsill if possible and it should be fine.
mine ended up being 5 plants...i did the seperation yesterday lol but i had the plant for about 3 months.

East window is no good, any other ideas?

thing looks crazy etoliated
get it in some good light as soon as you can.
its the same as my first VFT
looks like the same mini terrarium too
take the terrarium off, put the plant on a east windowsill if possible and it should be fine.
mine ended up being 5 plants...i did the seperation yesterday lol but i had the plant for about 3 months.

I also have a 10 gallon aquarium that I was going to turn into a non cp terrarium. It doesn't have anything in it right now, but I have the light. Should I put this in a dish of water and keep the light on it for a couple of days? I'm still waiting for my potting soil to thaw out so I can use the aquarium for a few days.

I also have a 10 gallon aquarium that I was going to turn into a non cp terrarium.

What plants were you going to put in there?

xvart.

What plants were you going to put in there?

xvart.

A Fittonia and a Leea. They are still in the pots I bought them in and are happy, so I could probably use the aquarium longer if I needed too.

well, a west window or a south window is good too
if your growing in a terrarium make sure you use good strong light.

well, a west window or a south window is good too
if your growing in a terrarium make sure you use good strong light.

Should I set it in there in a little water and leave the light on for days, or should I just it off during the day?? Where I was thinking of putting it gets very little light during the day.

well
the soil looks pretty soggy
id let it dry out a little
till the point that its moist
then set it in a tray of water
i run my lights from 6am - 10pm.

it definitely is very etiolated. But, it looks like there's some new growth coming from the center...that's a good sign at least!

The plant is starving for light, and its sense of seasons is probably all screwed up. Sounds like an east window isn't available, but do you perhaps have a southern or western window...preferably a drafty one?

Here's my line of thought: Artificial light is the only way you'd be able to get a VFT to its full glory this time of year. And that is not a cheap or easy process for a beginner. But it hasn't been getting enough light anyway, so putting it in full-blown light right away would burn it. If you stick it in a window, it will get a small amount of light. It won't be enough to recover, but at least it will be something. Plus it might help the plant sync up with the seasons again. With any luck, by spring it will be healthy enough to stick outside in full sun.

It's not looking too spiffy, but it could bounce back. Be patient...it won't look good for a while.

well
the soil looks pretty soggy
id let it dry out a little
till the point that its moist
then set it in a tray of water
i run my lights from 6am - 10pm.

Since I'm going to start this tonight should I go ahead and leave the light on all night?

this was my first VFT, from the same people that you got yours from or your cousin got it from it was crazy etoliated

TypicalVFTs1monthafterpurchase.jpg

then just yesterday, i did the divisions and it turned out like this (i trimmed off many of the leaves)
CPs053.jpg

no, i wouldnt leave it on all night.
leave it on till about 10 your time
but turn it off
start the lights back up around 6 or 7 am tomorrow to get them on a good photoperiod
what kind of lights are you using?

it definitely is very etiolated. But, it looks like there's some new growth coming from the center...that's a good sign at least!

The plant is starving for light, and its sense of seasons is probably all screwed up. Sounds like an east window isn't available, but do you perhaps have a southern or western window...preferably a drafty one?

Here's my line of thought: Artificial light is the only way you'd be able to get a VFT to its full glory this time of year. And that is not a cheap or easy process for a beginner. But it hasn't been getting enough light anyway, so putting it in full-blown light right away would burn it. If you stick it in a window, it will get a small amount of light. It won't be enough to recover, but at least it will be something. Plus it might help the plant sync up with the seasons again. With any luck, by spring it will be healthy enough to stick outside in full sun.

It's not looking too spiffy, but it could bounce back. Be patient...it won't look good for a while.

We live in a 2 bedroom apartment, across from a cornfield. Bad drafts through the north window, and the xmas tree is there right now.

presto, i already told him about the windows lol i beat you to that.
since it is from the same person as my first VFT
the seasons are way out of whack.
put it in dormancy next fall if it lives
and get it back on its propper light schedule.
it will bounce back, im sure of it

no, i wouldnt leave it on all night.
leave it on till about 10 your time
but turn it off
start the lights back up around 6 or 7 am tomorrow to get them on a good photoperiod
what kind of lights are you using?

It's already 11:00 here. For tonight I was going to use the light that came with the aquarium, would that be a no no?

depends on the light
full spectrum?
how many watts?

hmmm
it should be ok for awhile
it will need more light though.
id go for T5s if possible
very expensive though

hmmm
it should be ok for awhile
it will need more light though.
id go for T5s if possible
very expensive though

Ok, so for tonight should I just put it in with no lights and then turn them on in the morning? I'll be getting better lights after the holidays.

Back