What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rescue Part II

whowe

Willie
Last weekend several of you helped me with a flytrap that I was given. It has been under 60 watt grow light for about 4 days. I am keeping it humid and 1/4" of water in the bottom bowl. On the end of 2 leaves (not traps) it is turning dark. Am I burning the plant or is that the formation of new traps? Thanks again!

i think u need toput it into dormancy

no, traps forming would grow with the leaf from the start
either the leaf is buring or the leaf is dying.
you can see an example of a new leaf coming in in this picture of one of my dentate VFTs
DentateVFTs006.jpg

At this point I would keep it growth mode. Just keep it open, moist, and well-lit.

Thanks again guys!

no problem!
you will learn with time.
everyone does :D
soon youll be like anyone else, and i will be too xD i am new as well.

I looked when I got home today and I have new great looking leaves growing out of the middle! Should i cut off everything that is dead/dying?

if some of the leaves are green, leave them until the die.
green leaves still carry out photosynthesis

Ok, what about the dead traps/leaves that are there from the picture, should I cut those? I was so excited when I saw the new growth, it seems to have grown half an inch in a day! It also wasn't taking much water until the last couple of days, it has been sucking it up.

Should i cut off everything that is dead/dying?

If you want. Only cut off parts that have no green. It doesn't really matter as, like said before, there is no magical faerie that runs around clipping leaves in the wild (at least none that I am aware of). It's more aesthetics.

xvart.

do what xvart says
only remove the parts that arent green.
it may look weird for awhile, but when the new leaves come in and it becomes healthy again, you will see why.

lol. Everyone should listen to your advice. Maybe you can tell my coworkers, lol.

xvart.

lawl
hahahahha just show them this post with my seal of approval xD

“One minute of patience, ten years of peace”

“Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.”

"No greater thing is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me that you desire a fig, I answer you that there must be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen."
Epictetus (50-120) Greek philosopher.

"Avoid being impatient. Remember time brings roses."

"We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it."
François de La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680) French writer.

"Living for your own short-term enjoyment, to the detriment
of long-term health, is folly"
Scot Lawrence (1969 - ) some random guy on the internet who has been growing CPs
for 15 years.

"Forced to grow in winter, brings short term joy but eventual death and disappointment.
Allow to rest in winter, live for decades bringing much joy and happiness."
Scot Lawrence (1969 - ) some random guy on the internet who has been growing CPs
for 15 years.

Willie,
IMO you are doing a great disservice to your plant by not following the dormancy advice..
yes, we would all like to have instant gratification, to see our plants growing all the time,
even in the winter...but what we would like and what is best for the plants isnt always the same thing..

Yes..VFTs are boring in the winter..I dont see mine at all for 4 months every winter.
but its necessary for them to live.

you can keep going the way you are..your plant will be dead within a year.
or you can follow the advice of those who advocate winter dormancy, and your plant can live for decades..

I didnt make the rules..
I just follow them if I want my plants to live.

Scot

Back