What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus Flytraps squished in small terrarium

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and have had a Venus Flytrap for about 4 months now. Everything went well I used peat moss as the dirt, and I use distilled bottled water to water it. It is on my windowsill in a plastic pot, which I put in a plastic container with a lid. I punched holes in the lid. However, now a stalk is so tall that its curling along the top of the lid, and the other 9 stalks are getting bigger very fast. I have fed them 3 crickets since I got them. Should I take the top off? or get a bigger terrarium? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TF, you can take the lid of and it will be just fine. Flytraps can be grown in lower humidity levels.

Welcome to TerraForums!

First off, where do you live?

Next - How much or many hours of direct sunlight does your plant get on the windowsill.

Most likely you can lose the lid on the container but we need a bit more information on your growing conditions.

Flower stalks? I would cut all the flower stalks off.. unless you mean the leaves with traps.

"Should I take the top off?"
yes, you dont need the top at all.

"or get a bigger terrarium?"
no, they should not be in a terrarium at all.

where do you live? (what part of the world?)
they should be grown outside in the spring, summer, and autumn.
and they will need a winter dormancy..
If you are lucky, they can also stay outdoors all winter too,
but that depends on where you live.

Scot

yes and no fetilizer or potting soil and dont worry about feednig it also distilled or rain water is ideal a ro filter would be great.

--------------
Translation: Yes, and no fertilizer or potting soil. And don't worry about feeding it. Also distilled or rain water is ideal; an R.O. filter would be great.

Checking what you typed for errors and adding some punctuation makes it easier for people to read and understand what you want to say.
-PAK

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you move it outside to direct sun once Spring begins. You are in the northern hemisphere, right?

Do what they said and when you fill us in on where you live then we can help with your domrancy care and other things..

I grow my vfts in pots in areas with absolute low humidity beside a "air circulation vent". The humidity is now sooo low that infact my dews aren't dewing up. ( ~ 10% - 20% ). However....VFT's are doing great.

can we see some id i mean pics:pics:

He came and left..........................

Back