What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumpster flytrap back from the dead!

Last month I fished a couple pots marked "carnivorous" out of Home Depot's trash when I bought my Christmas tree. I flushed them with rainwater and generally have been giving them the same care as my paphiopedilums. Two of the pots grew moss and the third has a vft! Actually, it's more like a clump of vfts. There's one big main crown and a jillion little baby traps popping out of one side. I can count 5 minicrowns so far but they're really smushed together. There could be more. I'm not sure if this plant was still high on TC hormones when Home Depot chucked it or if this is a standard near death experience response for vfts. Anyway, the question is, should I split these guys up? I kind of like the mound o' traps effect but not if it's going to cause problems.

well! I have done bizzare things with my VFT seedlings...some of them were on the brink of death, I potted them up sepearately and then they started growing well. You never know...but before you do anything....you should first have experience growing VFT's. I mean for a newcomer, i wouldn't recommend splitting right now. Grow the plants as you get them. However...once you are successfully growing them...then go ahead.... knock your self out. :) make 1 vft into 50 vft's. :p lol!

I wouldn't separate them. They look nice clumped together. Once they grow and are taking up lot of space, then split them and repot.

Of course this is a matter of personal preference more than anything else. Neither splitting nor leaving them "as is" won't harm them much. If you really want to get down to the nitty-gritty, though, separating them might be a tad more risky as you may loose some of the younger ones due to stress, especially if they were in the store for a while.

Good luck!

Back