What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't breathe in here! (Terrarium question)

Hello everyone! I had a quick question about terrariums.

I've noticed a lot of trendy terrariums sold in shops that are full glass and have a glass lid on that completely covers the bottom. It seems like there is no oxygen getting inside for the plants. My gut is telling me this can't be good. Regardless, I always see advertisements for them in higher end catalogs.

Are these kind of terrariums safe for venus fly traps? Or are they just decoration for growers who don't know better (like me!)

example:
416179540_45dc7bafb3.jpg

Although the plants do need oxygen for respiration I think the CO2 would be the biggie ;) Not to mention air circulation.

Few CP's need to be in a terrarium. Nepenthes and a few others are exceptions but Dionaea (VFT's) are temperate plants (native to the Green Swamp in NC) and really do not need high humidity. What Venus Fly Traps do need are high light (normally not found indoors) and a period of cold dormancy. These are outdoor plants.

The terrariums forebode dead VFT's. I know many people will disagree but I think the majority will back me up on this. Anyway, mold growth is encouraged due to the lack of air movement, insects (although not technically needed) are kept out, humidity is kept high making the plant less rigid and possibly a few other things I am leaving out. Regardless, those should be enough.

Outside in the full sun with is where these little guys belong.
-J.P.

Thanks EdaxFlamma,

I understand they need to be outside, free, happy and sunshine. Last summer I had a couple of venus traps outside and we'd have the best time laughing and singing.

I suppose my question would be if these types of full glass toped terrariums would be alright until the spring time. (I'm in Chicago and it's -7 outside right now)

My venus traps look pretty sweet inside these trendy glass jars. I'm scared I'll put the lid on them and in the morning they will all be black and upset with me.

An enclosed ecosystem for a VFT is a setup for failure. Aside from what was mentioned above, you can't provide a necessary dormancy for the plant. It's like staying up all night and being expected to be fully functional the next day. There's not enough energy for it.

In my own experience, my VFTs have done MUCH better being grown in a pot outdoors. They do not need all the humidity that you get in an enclosed terrarium and in fact mold will probably kill them. If you go the terrarium route, you need to have good air circulation. And don't let the water get stagnant and funky which it can from warmth and lack of drainage. Let VFTs live the outdoor life as they do in nature whenever possible. :)

Most little terrariums you see in stores are more for looks (saleability) than for function. After all, who can resist a flytrap in a rain forest-looking environment.

Thank you for the help everyone!

Now whenever I look in catalogs for those glass type terrariums with the glass lids, I'll think of you all and say "that an't good!"

:bigthumpup:

I recently got a few Flytraps myself and I've been doing a lot of reading and correcting my newbish mistakes over the past month or so. I got a couple of Walmart type deathpots for Christmas after mentioning to my mother how cool it would be to have a Venus Flytrap. I put them in short/fat squished fishbowl terrarium, but they weren't doing the greatest. Now after reading this forum and a few others, I put them into a large glazed flowerpot I bought at Walmart last night along with an Akai Ryu and another "Giant" flytrap that I bought off Ebay.

I hope they do great. I lost one of the Walmart FTs but it was dieing when I got it. The other one is doing OK and actually turned out to be two. I hope they like their new home. They're on my dresser next to my bedroom window with 2 CFLs shining on them (since sunlight is limited inside) and I'll have a super bright high powered CFL arriving on Monday. Unfortunately I can't grow them outside past spring due to the AZ heat.

Back