What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for battle

My venus fly traps are back and doing very good since winter. It's my first flower :banana2: and I actually will have two because both plants are growing flowers that I have.

001.jpg

That flower is just growing and growing as tall as she can. It now lays against the window as if it's trying to get outside... Outside just isn't safe around here though ever since the new lawn guys. They are ruthless... :censor:

002.jpg

There be a close up.

004.jpg

While we're at it, does anyone recognize those plants growing in with the VFT? They seem to be doing good and aren't too ugly so i'm leaving them for now. Probably just some sort of weed.

Also here are some of my other plants that are doing very well.

010.jpg

A leopard prince orchid.

009.jpg

And an avocado tree I'm growing from a seed. It's about 1.5 years old now I think. When I get my own house with a yard it'll be planted.

Hold that pose on the pods when they turn black!

Beautiful photo's. Thanks for sharing. How old are your VFT's?

I don't really know how old either are as I got the big one at Lowe's and the smaller one was half dead from walmart.

The big one I got maybe 7-8 months ago, and the smaller one a few months after that. The bigger one must have been at least a year old it seems when i got it as it was big and in good shape. The other one was pretty young when i got it.

You could defintley tell when they woke up from hibernation though. I thought they were dying then it starting getting hot in the days again and they just took off.

My VFT's are still sleeping. I cant wait for spring here. Its about 18 degrees F and FREEZING!!!. I hope I can get some of my sarracenia's to bloom this spring. I just want one of my plants to bloom to give me some encouragment in this hobby.....

What kind of pot are the VFTs potted in? It doesn't look glazed...

I am not familiar with terracotta. But, if they are the ones commonly sold everywhere (the common clay pots at garden centers), then they can slowly release minerals and other substances into the soil over time. This may negatively affect your VFT. I would change to plastic or glazed.

Again, I am not familiar with the name “terracotta”. So wait for another response to clarify before you do anything.

-Joel

Well if I do change them it'll be a while, after they're done having fun making flowers.

I agree with joossa, Terra cotta (Italian word for baked earth), or any type of unglazed clay pot will slowly leach minerals into your soil. It well not do it overnight, but I would definitely suggest transplanting it to plastic, or glazed.

Having had a variety of CP's it is very possible to have something flowering at all times, even the winter. Some of the easy utrics and sundews can give ya something pretty to look forward to.

I'm starting to wake up some of my VFTs and my d. Adelae Sundews are spiking!

Back