What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's alive!!!

My first and successful VFT leaf cutting!
SN850567.jpg

Congrats, tried about 4 last year and couldn't get a single strike. What's your secret???

VFT cuttings almost 100% of the time take. Give it good light...i.e., enough light as you would give an adult plant. put it on the surface of the damp media like that...and wait. Wait for few months and they should strike as long as the thing doens't go black or brown.

Cool i might try that somethime thanks for the help vraev

jimscott once suggested floating them in water (as a novel approach, not a typical one)--anyone have experience trying this? The one I did failed.

jimscott once suggested floating them in water (as a novel approach, not a typical one)--anyone have experience trying this? The one I did failed.

I am trying this approach right now. They have only been floating for a couple of weeks so far and I can't tell for sure if they are starting to form any roots. I think it takes at least a month, right? I will post again with results when they are definitive.

When i tried it last year it definetly failed but i really hope it works for you than i might try again... keep us updated

Wow~ Congratulations!:-D
Keep going! my friend.
Thanks to your sharing.

What's your secret???

Um, it's nothing really. I got a small pot (cup, need to put holes later or change, not sure) and I put in a peat/perlite mix with a small top layer of dried sphagnum moss. I very lightly put a tiny pinch of soil over the white part and the leaf to keep it down. I put it in a plastic bag and put it in my terrarium and waited. Ta da, secret reveiled.

There's this approach:

IMG_0014.jpg

And what I like to do with VFT and Ceph cuttings is have the basal part embedded in live, LFS, by a sunny window:

IMG_0121-1.jpg

Jim, what are those vile thingies that the binata cuttings are in??

And did you put those in there with bugs still attached?!?!

What are you trying to do?? Grow giant mutated insects as well?!?!

You mad scientist! ;)

Ah yes, those vial thngs! That's exactly how I refer to them. Um... the mutated insect thing didn't work out too well, I'm afraid.

Here it is now, updated as promised.
SN850595.jpg

awwwwww fudge.

I wanted to see some giant mutated insects. ;)

I will post again with results when they are definitive.

So, the float method works, but I don't think it works as well as just laying the pullings in sphagnum. Here are a couple of pics:
tiny_nub.jpg

This one is from pure water.
2_small_leafs_starting_closer.jpg

This one is from pure water also.
plant_starting_closer.jpg

This plantlet was on the sphagnum.

Not all that definitive, but both methods seem to work fine.

I heard placing them on top of like an inch of perlite with water works well, and oh as for the rooting in LFS I have a stapelia cutting. Stapelia hirsuta it's not even a cp I tried rooting the cutting in water and nothing... after I put it in a cup of dried LFS that was moist not soggy it grew roots like new roots each week and they were like 1-2 inches long.

after I put it in a cup of dried LFS that was moist not soggy it grew roots like new roots each week and they were like 1-2 inches long.

Interesting, though it makes sense. I would think that it would be more suitable for plants to grow roots in media than in water. I already transferred all of my pullings out of the pure water into the LFS. Hoping to see roots in the next couple of weeks.

Interesting, though it makes sense. I would think that it would be more suitable for plants to grow roots in media than in water. I already transferred all of my pullings out of the pure water into the LFS. Hoping to see roots in the next couple of weeks.

well I have never grown a stapelia and the person my mom got the cutting from said to stick it in water, I objected and said it looks like a succulent but I did stick it in the cup of water it was only like a 1/4" at all times.

Back