What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT under growlights....

over 2 years w/o dormancy.........over 3 dozen flower stalks removed since i got it......

vftflower.jpg

vft.jpg

That is pretty nice... thanks for the pics :-D

Crown ti for a cultivator status in 2 years...

And so? It's been documented that Dionaea will grow fine without dormancy for two or three years before declining. I think it was Cindy or one of our other members from Singapore that described how VFTs grow near the equator without dormancy. They grow rather vigoursly for 3 or 4 years, dividing many times and then die. The divisions repeat the cycle.

Let's see how it looks in 2 or 3 years.

But it does look nice ;)

i agree with yah.................wont think its anything special for a few more but i have had it for a lil over two years now and i got it in the fall so its prolly pushing 3 w/o dormancy though i cant confirm it.......it sits in the back of a tray, i haul it out to remove dead leaves and flower stalks like i did today and put it back.........waiting to see what it does in the future

This is really encouraging. The search function yielded far too many posts that implied a person trying to grow VFTs indoors was deranged. I just got mine last week, but so far it is looking good just coming out of dormancy.

What kind of lighting do you use?

I also grow mine indoors...for now. It seems to be working. There are 4 VFTs under 2 CFLs.

Once summer comes and I go back home, I'm putting them outside.

Yeah, it's definitely doable. I have 4 T12 flourecents, so I am hoping that is enough being that I have it maybe 3 inches from the lights. When I received it it was just coming out of dormancy, but I have seen an explosion of growth the last few days.

rattler, who is the Sundew keeping it company?

This is really encouraging. The search function yielded far too many posts that implied a person trying to grow VFTs indoors was deranged.

...There's good reason why. VFTs are pretty demanding for indoor culture. If you're only starting out, don't get your hopes up. rattler is an exemplary grower and I have a feeling this is the result of a lot of experience and the improbably good growing conditions his home seems blessed with.
Nice as usual, rattler. One of these days I'll have to steal your house.
~Joe

I find VFTs are perfectly happy on a south, east or west windowsill.

I grew them for a few years when I first started in the hobby. They had a cool winter dormancy every year and were as happy as larry on the windowsill during the growing season.

...There's good reason why. VFTs are pretty demanding for indoor culture. If you're only starting out, don't get your hopes up. rattler is an exemplary grower and I have a feeling this is the result of a lot of experience and the improbably good growing conditions his home seems blessed with.
Nice as usual, rattler. One of these days I'll have to steal your house.
~Joe

thanks for the compliment but in all reality ive killed about 100 VFT's before i found one thats doing fine in my conditions. thank god for TC plants :grin: it has nothing to do with my conditions, my conditions are far from perfect for most plants and i seem to have my best success when i throw up my hands, say fug'it and walk away and let them do their own thing.....killed more plants by babying them than just walking away and leaving them alone. there are plenty here with MUCH more experience than i who i rely heavily on for answering my questions, you dont see me asking many cause i generally know who to ask about what and i go straight to the source instead of posting a question on the board........the only thing i do differently from most is say "screw it, its just a plant, lets try this or lets try that" and i do expect to kill plants in the process. those species that i cant easily replace like some neps and some of the Utrics i tend to keep a close eye on but anything i know i can replace with in a month or two gets experimented on........

rattler, here is my tribute to you :)

DSC00332.jpg

I know they are small, but they are just now emerging from dormancy and are exploding. I grow them under 6 40 w T12 fluorescents.

i throw up my hands, say fug'it and walk away and let them do their own thing.....

Which is why I'd say you're particularly experienced. As for your conditions, your house isn't exactly a museum conservatory or anything, but I've seen you pull off some pretty impressive stuff in the time I've been here.
~Joe

This is really encouraging. The search function yielded far too many posts that implied a person trying to grow VFTs indoors was deranged. I just got mine last week, but so far it is looking good just coming out of dormancy.

What kind of lighting do you use?

You can grow indoors as long as you give them enough light. Mine get most of their light from a 6900 lumen 5000k CFL and a little sunlight from a screened window. I have several typicals, 2 B52s, an Akai Ryu, and a Red Piranha. The typicals I recently transplanted and weren't in the greatest health (all came from a dollar store). The Red Piranha is still a young plant but it's completely red and sending up new traps all the time. However, the B52s and Akai Ryu are doing absolutely great. I have a few B52 traps that are over 1.5 inches wide and they have a pretty decent amount of red coloring in their traps. The B52s aren't even a year old and they are already monsters! :-O In the past few weeks they've been especially vigorous. All of this under a CFL (granted it's a huge and bright one).

Back