What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right Amount of Sun Needed?

Many websites say VFT should be in full sunlight, and others say not to be too generous with light because the will "burn". Now, I previously owned a normal green Sarracenia..that looked like this..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sarracenia_2.jpg

It was nice and green, but when I put it in full sunlight, the whole thing turned blood red.
Was this ok? And will a VFT do the same thing If I leave it in full light?

Note: Could it be because it went from mixed sunlight @ Home Depot to Full non filtered light?

hahaha mine are in full sun they won't burn if acclimated, they will if they were from the hardware store and got moved into full sun.
they really love sun and its not burn its healthy color
good sun= nice healthy red traps just like the plant in my avatar :)

Thats some RED traps. Is it ok if the stalks get that red too?

um never had a stalk get that red but I imagine its fine.
actually the plant in my avatar has better color than a normal flytrap and gets larger traps also, its a different cultivar.
if the plants weren't use to full sun and you move them into full sun or even brighter light there leaves may burn,new leaves that grow will be fine and are not burnt but just good color.

i grow mine in full sun and looks great so far...traps are a very deep red and leaves are a dark green.....it's flowering like crazy now

Yes, the leaves will burn IF the plant was not acclimated to full-sun to begin with..
like a plant you just bought from Home Depot or Target, with the plastic dome covers.

Those plants will get some "sun burn" when you first place them in full sun..but thats ok, because as new leaves appear, they will be acclimated to the sun and will NOT burn.

VFTs and Sarracenia should always be in as much full sun as possible..

Check this out..
this is a photo of my VFTs taken days ago:

CP2008-036.jpg

They are growing indoors, because its too cold to put them outdoors yet..
they are totally green because they arent getting enough light..that "solid green" is not a good thing!

Here are the SAME VFTs, photo from a few years ago, after they have been in full-sun for awhile...MUCH better! :)

june11-03.jpg

If in doubt, put them in the sun...dont worry about the "burn" at all..it wont hurt the plant.
yes, some *individual* leaves will burn, but once new leaves appear, just cut the older burned leaves away...its much healthier for the plant as a whole for it to be in full-sun..
the burn is a very minor price to pay for getting the plant in full sun.

when I put my plants outside for the season soon, I will document the "burn" process..
you will see its nothing to worry about.

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/cp/page5.html

Scot

I recently transplanted 7 typicals from the dollar store and they aren't doing the greatest, but once they are used to the light, I'm sure they will be as vigorous as my B52s and Akai Ryu, which are doing absolutely great. Some of them are slightly crispy from the burn in period, and they are even getting slightly less light than my other VFTs.

Back