What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT after dormancy

Both my Big Mouth and Red Clayton Sunset VFTs made it through dormancy and have been growing for the past weeks

My Sunset VFT has been producing small traps but my Big Mouth have been producing odd traps

Is this normal for VFT to produce crapy traps right after dormancy?
and how long will it take for it to grow big traps like it did last year?

Thanks

that's what i want to know also. mine came outa dormancy, but its smaller than before it went into dormancy, do i need to feed it more to make it bigger or something? cuz on one of my flytrap there's 3 fruitflies exo stuck in it. pretty cool, i'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

My typical flytrap started off smaller but has been getting progressively bigger. Give it a chance and I am sure the traps will return to their normal size.

Same here.

Some VFT cultivars of mine are putting out crappy looking shock-traps while others are releasing normal, healthy looking traps.

I think this normal. All VFT's are different with all our different growing conditions and such...

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Waiting for the nice growth to start. I think it is normal. I put some of my plants in a new terrarium that I just put together and they took off like crazy, but I am giving them a 15 hour photoperiod and keeping the temp between 70 and 80F. I'm sure once the days start getting a little longer and the temps get warmer, the other plants not in the terrarium will catch up.

Ditto. The same happens to me every year (and is happening now). Most of mine loose all their foliage during the winter and then grow what seem to be shock traps right after dormancy ends. They usually regain strength in about a month to two months thereafter.

:mad: Watch out for aphids and friends, they'll love that juicy new growth.

Ditto. The same happens to me every year (and is happening now). Most of mine loose all their foliage during the winter and then grow what seem to be shock traps right after dormancy ends. They usually regain strength in about a month to two months thereafter.

:mad: Watch out for aphids and friends, they'll love that juicy new growth.

what's a "shock trap"?

Scot

what's a "shock trap"?

Scot

Small, deformed traps. Some times they come up with awkward petioles as well. I see your Dionaea don't like to waste time, huh Scot? ;)

Man, all you guys have early bird flytraps, mines still struggling to come out. I guess it's still recovering from the transplanting shock.
It's starting to send up some small traps, aswell as a semi-burnt looking one. Anyone having the same trouble?
-matt

Yes, I'm also having the same problem as you Matt. Most of my VFTs are sending up small traps as well as semi burnt and deformed traps. The only two cultivars that are sending out nice healthy traps are my Dutch and Vigorous. I will just keep giving them lots of outdoor sun and hope in a month or so all the new growth is healthy.

Hmm, thats good to know. At least I'm not the only one. Thanks

I wonder if the small trap/shock-trap/burnt trap phenomenon is part of their design where early Spring leaves are thrown out mainly for photosynthesis. With active trapping being a lesser importance at this stage.

Just a theory........ ;)

I wonder if the small trap/shock-trap/burnt trap phenomenon is part of their design where early Spring leaves are thrown out mainly for photosynthesis. With active trapping being a lesser importance at this stage.

Just a theory........ ;)
I was thinking something similar to that.
I also noticed that a couple of the screwed up traps that are starting to grow, or come out on mine were ones that began forming before winter. I guess the cold didn't give them a chance to finish growing into a complete trap, so they just sat there as buds all winter.

-matt

Last edited:
I'm a bit worried about my VFT... the stems are leggy and the traps are tiny or nonexistent and do not open. I am assuming this is what y'all are calling shock traps. It is already mid June and the traps have been like this since winter... should I be worried?!

Leggy is normally associated with plants that need more light. How or where are you growing them/

I would echo what Jimscott says. It sounds like your plant is starved for light. In San Francisco, VFTs would normally come out of dormancy in late February or early March and begin to put up flower stalks. By June, if your plants have been given adequate light, they should now have robust traps.

Leggy is normally associated with plants that need more light. How or where are you growing them/

They are growing in an eastern facing window, closest to the actual window. My other VFT is in the same location and doing great so I am not sure why this one is not.....

There is great variation in VFT growth. I too have some plants that have a tendency to grow "leggy" - meaning they grow thin leaf-bases and usually grow upright - while other plants grow low to the ground with wide leaf-bases all the time.

Back