What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My trap!

Thanks dart! Your icon is hilarious lololol.

So I was bored earlier so I decided to transplant my typical from it's small little pot into the semi-large pot that my Royal Red came in. There are currently three vfts in that one pot but I made sure to space them far away from each other. I can't wait until my reds grow even more so the contrast between red&green can be shown. :)

lol your plant looks so vulnerable on that ledge with nothing to stop it blowing over....i've had a few vfts tip over from strong breezes even in quite large pots lol probably because peat is so light lol i just fasten them down with a bit of blu tack.

i6f7kx.png

Here is my plant, you can't really see the royal reds because they are on the other side. However, you can see the mini traps of my second royal red bulb, just look on the left of the pot. I have a question about dormancy, can't I just leave it on my balcony all winter and just keep caring for it as I already am? I want to keep them all natural and not have to refridgerate the bulbs.

Looks like awesome now :D I'm sure you can leave it there, but keep it a bit drier.

Your VFTs are looking good. You'd probably be fine leaving them on the balcony all winter, but if it freezes, you might want to bring them in until the freeze passes.

And, as Capensis says, don't keep the pot in standing water. Keep the soil just damp, not wet.

It gets really cold here in the Bay Area but never to the point where snow falls. I thought VFTs have pretty good frost tolerance?

Oh and I have always keep my tray filled with water, is that a bad thing? I only resort to that option because in a matter of hours all the water has been evaporated.

It gets really cold here in the Bay Area but never to the point where snow falls. I thought VFTs have pretty good frost tolerance?

Oh and I have always keep my tray filled with water, is that a bad thing? I only resort to that option because in a matter of hours all the water has been evaporated.

If it never snows, then you'll be fine leaving them outdoors all year. The only thing you should do differently while they are dormant is let the water tray dry out for a day or two before you add more water, but still make sure they never get super dry.

And no, always keeping your water tray filled is not a bad thing, that is as long as your tray isn't as tall as the pot itself (in which case the bulb can rot if you fill it all the way).
If your having trouble with evaporation, try upgrading to a larger water tray. It looks like the one your using is a little bit small. Just make sure that if you use one as tall as the pot, you only fill it about half way or lower for the reason I mentioned above.

Good luck. Your plants are looking great.

Matt

p.s: Thanks for avitar compliment. I thought it was pretty funny too. lol

Great recovery!!!

Back