What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi new to the forum some help though

ive just purchased two venus fly traps im aware of how to look after them to some exstent but there are things that worry me about one of them.

ive got them both in a Vivairum if thats the right word... to make sure the Humidity is right along with the temperature...

one of them is growing Very well the other is not... but i think the one thats not growing well was like that when i got it and thats why i got it cheap £2!

i was woundering how to save it..?

it looks to me like its been growing well in the past and has sprouted into three seporate plants in the same pot.. But then has died off a bit and stopped growing So it seems altogether..

i have cut off the dead heads and leaves and left it in there to see if it will pick its self back up.. but nothing appears to be changin Really

i have also noticed its over run with green fly i know they cant be doing it any good but do you recon they will stop it completly? and how can i get rida them without getting sommet like a lady bird lol..

Also Would it be worth repotting each individual ventus fly trap that appears to be in that same pot..? and What soil do i need is the Peat moss and where can i get a small bag of that from? Cheers

I assume that you're from the UK. I don't know where you can get peatmoss there. We have some members from there that can tell you.

What is green fly?

From what you have said it sounds like the plant is in a dormant state, which is fine. Just keep giving it the correct conditions and it should start growing pretty soon.

If you can post a pic of it then I think we can tell you a little more about what is going on.

yeh im from the UK... forgot to mention that..

Could someone please confirm theres more than one plant in the first picture as well in the same pot lol looks like there is to me.

this is a picture of the one thats not really growing

Image003.jpg

Image006.jpg

This is a picture of the one that is growing fine

Image004.jpg

This is green Fly if i you look closely you can see the little insects... pretty sure they feed on plants..

Image022.jpg

If I'm seeing what I think I see you have aphids. The insects you're talking about are the tiny white specks in the pic? If so you do have aphids. It would also explain why the leaves are twisted.

First thing you need to do is to get some distilled or rain water and completely submerge all the plants for at least 24 hrs. Then you need to get a good insecticide. I don't know what you have in the UK. I'll make sure one of our UK member sees this so they can help you.

In the meantime, go ahead ans submerge all the plants like I said and kill any of the bugs you see.

If I'm seeing what I think I see you have aphids. The insects you're talking about are the tiny white specks in the pic? If so you do have aphids. It would also explain why the leaves are twisted.

First thing you need to do is to get some distilled or rain water and completely submerge all the plants for at least 24 hrs. Then you need to get a good insecticide. I don't know what you have in the UK. I'll make sure one of our UK member sees this so they can help you.

In the meantime, go ahead ans submerge all the plants like I said and kill any of the bugs you see.

so you surjest take the plants out of the soil and bassically completly submerge it in rain water for 24 hours then replant it?

wont this kill the plant putting it in just water? and how careful do i ave to be with the roots?

ye i think thats wot i have got (aphids)

No, don't take the plants out of the pots. Submerge pot soil and plant. It'll drown most of the aphids. Being submerged won't hurt the plants at all. I've seen them like this for weeks in the wild.

No, don't take the plants out of the pots. Submerge pot soil and plant. It'll drown most of the aphids. Being submerged won't hurt the plants at all. I've seen them like this for weeks in the wild.

ok well tried doin that but obviously the water is just going to run out the bottom unless i block the holes up in the bottom of the pots.

other wise im goin to ave to try get some pest control

after i get rida these pests do you think this will allow the plant to grow as it doesnt seem to be dying as such but doesnt seem to be growing either as no new traps seem to be formin apart from what you can see and they dont appear to of moved at all in the last 4 days... (since i got it)

What you should do is to find a big tub, fill it with water and then place the pots of vft's in the tub.
After you get rid of the aphids the growth showed start.

If you want to talk to me about it, you can in the chat box on the main page.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Since your topic is mainly VFT based, I'm moving this to the VFT forum where you might get more help.

It does look like you have some kind of bugs. I'd separate that plant and put it in isolation so it doesn't infect any other plants.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Since your topic is mainly VFT based, I'm moving this to the VFT forum where you might get more help.

It does look like you have some kind of bugs. I'd separate that plant and put it in isolation so it doesn't infect any other plants.

ok thanks

well it seems that they are aphids of the green and white variety lol.

i think i need a lady bird to eat em or some pestacide but i dont want to get one that might kill the plant as well Any surjestions ?

I assume a lady bird is what we in the US call ladybugs. They will work, but they are a little more preventive than a cure. Your flytrap need to get rid of them now. So go ahead and put them in a tub of water. I emailed a member here that is from the UK and he will be able to tell you what to buy. I don't know the brands in the UK so I can't tell you what you need.It won't hurt if you leave the submerged for a few days.

ok cheers wouldnt mind buying some of that today to be honest. get it fixed as soon as possible.

yeh in the uk we call them ladybirds or ladybugs lol...

Hi

First step is to spray it with insecticide. They are pretty tough as a rule and will take most bug killers. I recommend looking for a brand containing pyrethrins. Spray once a day for a few days.

You can either repot now, or leave it for a bit (or leave it altogether) - it's up to you. To be honest, VFTs don't particularly mind being repotted at any time, but if you do repot, use an Irish Moss Peat / perlite mix. Independent garden centres will have the peat - B&Q and Homebase don't stock it as a rule.

Welcome to TF!

well i have got my self some Provado Ultimate Bug killer as i couldnt find anything with that stuff that you mentioned

this is the one i got

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/invt/7370

this says to just spray plant once and it should kill them all if not Continue after 14 days :S

Provado should be perfect. The active ingredient is a systemic insecticide Imidacloprid and is recommended for chewing and sucking insects.

Follow the directions on the label. A follow up spraying at 14 days would probably be a good idea.

There you are then, two chemicals to look out for: imidacloprid and pyrethrins.

Back