What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

watering and light distance

Surprise, I have more questions. I just want to do this right from the start and learning from you guys has gotten me some great info. Thanks for all the help so far. :)

Light Distance

I have two pots of about 4 VFT's each at the moment. Above them are six T12, 6500K, 3300 lumen, 40-watt fluorescent bulbs in three 48" shop fixtures.

The temperature in the room they're in is typically about 78-82 degrees.

I'm using the tray method and at present the Lowe's-bought VFT's are about 3 inches tall on thin, high-climbing spring leaves.

The humidity above the tray, among the VFT's is about 50-55% or higher.

Currently the tallest traps are about 3 inches from the lights. I'm worried that this is too close. Should I back them down?

Watering

I use the tray method with reverse-osmosis water and have been keeping about an inch of water in the trays. When I water from the top I often disturb the soil a bit (I'm kinda clumsy and don't have the steadiest hand). This brings me to three questions:

- Can I water at the tray, or should I be watering from the top, over the rhizomes?
- How exactly do you know when your plant needs watered? There's the tray water level to consider, as well as keeping the top soil moist.
- Should you water them a little bit daily, or should you let the tray water all but evaporate completely and then add the water back in?

nope, if anything 3 inches is too far, get the lights as close as possible like 1 inch above

you can also just water the tray, you dont have to water from the top unless it dries out
I water the try once there no or a little water left

3 inches is NOT far. I have my plants around 12 inches over the plant tray. My vft's still get blood red and drool.

I personally water from the top and then wait until the water drains into the tray. But if you water the tray then that is fine, because the soil would be kept constantly moist.

Oh and I have a question, can someone explain to me the science of how water in the tray keeps the soil all moist? I'm pretty baffled X_X

the soil absorbs the water. so as the retained water evaporates, the soil is constantly provided with more.

its capillary action that draws the water up. much like a dry sponge sitting in a water puddle, it will soak it up.

~b

Yeah...hydrogen bond action, too.

All of the positive H atoms in water are attracted to the negative O atoms of neighboring molecules, so it makes a kind of water molecule chain. So when the top water gets evaporated, it pulls on the chain and everything goes up.

H-bonding is what also creates surface tension.

Correct, 3 inches is not too far... very common misconception. Your lighting is adequate. And really, if the plants are only 3 inches from the lights, your plants are not getting the full benefit of your fixtures. I would say between 8-12 inches is better.

I have D. filiformis, so I had to move the lighting up so as to accomodate the new leaves. No change in the color of my venus flytrap; in fact, it seems to like it a bit more. People can give you advice, but I would experiment and see what works for you. Venus flytraps are pretty hardy.

3 inches is NOT far. I have my plants around 12 inches over the plant tray. My vft's still get blood red and drool.

That made me laugh out loud. Are your VFT's in a terrarium or in the open?

I dropped the shelf and removed their little pedestals; they're now about 10 inches from the six T12 light fixtures.

I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool" as you call it, which is what attracts their food. Is this not the case for yours? I'd prefer not to have to put all my VFT's in a terrarium; that's where my pitchers and sundews live. :)

I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool"

Just get past it. VFTs do fine in low humidity. They get juicy and drool just like they do in high humidity.

That made me laugh out loud. Are your VFT's in a terrarium or in the open?

I dropped the shelf and removed their little pedestals; they're now about 10 inches from the six T12 light fixtures.

I can't get past the thought that if the humidity isn't above 60%, they won't "drool" as you call it, which is what attracts their food. Is this not the case for yours? I'd prefer not to have to put all my VFT's in a terrarium; that's where my pitchers and sundews live. :)

I am in Phoenix, AZ and my plants are just out in the open in my room under a big fluorescent light. Trust me when I say they do not need high humidity to thrive. I'll take some pics when I get home. :)

Just get past it. VFTs do fine in low humidity. They get juicy and drool just like they do in high humidity.

I am in Phoenix, AZ and my plants are just out in the open in my room under a big fluorescent light. Trust me when I say they do not need high humidity to thrive. I'll take some pics when I get home. :)

Perfect, thanks. Looks like I'm in good shape then.

Back