What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Royal Red !

So my dad ordered me a Royal Red last Friday, and it arrived today in my mailbox. I was really excited because the vendor is known for their great shipping etc. Anywho, when I unraveled the plant it was very pathetic looking. That totally brought down my mood x10. Anyways, it also dawned on me that the bulb itself w/ all it's weak looking traps had fallen out from the soil! Thus I just spent about 15 minutes, hands and elbows, in peatmoss&perlite trying to carefully put back in the plants. >:O And now i'm just worried that I might have hurt the roots and the plant will die.

Paranoia? Can anyone tell me if the plant will survive? T_T

21agtg0.png

Two plants?

2m5fp0o.png

Very sad looking.

v3m8b5.png

Ugh, ;[

PS. After repotting I threw it on the balcony alongside my growing typical vft to get some sun. I also filled up it's tray and just walked away. :/

Blame it on the vendor, or just the post office?

Sorry if I was being a bit dramatic^^^ Couldn't help it. :/

It doesn't appear to have been very healthy when it left the possession of the vendor, so let's go with vendor. Who was it?

As far as living, I'm sure that it will probably thrive in time.

I can't name the vendor due to the guidelines. But "x239ru1-r9-13=9" is very well-known. D:<

definitely two plants thats for sure, and I bet both will survive just fine. VFT's are very hardy plants they can survive alot more than just a brutal shipping or a bad previous owner... if there is almost any good white rhizome left the plant will grow back just as good as anything... just give it all the light you can and let it chill and it'll bounce back faster than you'd even expect... once its got a couple good full grown healthy traps feed it a fly or something to maybe give it that little extra push if it doesn't catch one on its own...

bottom line- it'll be perfectly okay

I'm sure it will perk up for you. It may be just coming out of dormancy.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there were two flytraps in that pot as you stated; I got three hitchhikers with my order.

Good luck!
-Matt

Last edited:
Anyways, thanks for the help guys&gals >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
andy rocks! :rookwoot:
good prices on BR vfts :)

I just sent "239-5489-32589129-" an email voicing my dissatisfaction in a polite way, of course! :X

Enough beating around the bush. Stay to the original topic and stop talking about who knows who and experiences with other vendors. All indirect references to outside vendors have been removed and irrelevant stories have also been removed.

xvart.

I agree with everyones opinion that both your VFT will survive, SO LONG as you keep the soil moist. My only concern is that since you are keeping your VFT outdoors and you live in San Jose where the days can get hot and dry, to slowly acclaimate the fragile VFT to the direct sunlight. I have lost many a CP in the past by leaving them in direct sunlight as soon as I get them out of the mail. I would expose them to 2-4 hours direct sunlight first and slowly increasing the exposure time over the next week.

lol the vft i got from andy, i accidentally dropped it from the second floor down to the concrete, i picked it up, some traps were cracked but now its healthier than ever. after it fell on the floor, the week after it looks almost like that. then it started throwing up new ones.except its with an akai ryu instead of royal red.

Looks like they are coming out of dormancy to me. Temperate CPs that go dormant shipped between Oct and April in the Northern Hemisphere can look rather pathetic. The care sheet included with those probably says something to that effect.

The "Crested Petioles" I bought from another vendor on the West Coast in January looked far worse than those did and are now just beginning to show some growth.

If the plants were damaged in shipment then you have to take that up with the carrier but it's probably too late now unless you took photographs of the package and the contents before you started fooling around with them.

I would also recommend acclimating your vft to its new environment. Do not just leave it in the hot sun without first acclimating it to its new growing environment. Slowly give it 2 hours of direct sun, and then 4 hours the next week until you are ready to give it full sun. Also, when you do leave it outside in the sun, make sure there is water in its tray or water it from above right before you place it outside in the sun.

Hope this helps!

Giovanni

Thanks guys, but the vendor is like 2 hrs away from me....

So do I still have to acclimate it?

I also softly pulled the plants apart and placed them quite a distance away in the pot, I was really careful. Will that effect the roots in any way?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd stick it straight in the sun. So what if the old leaves suffer a bit? They're in bad shape anyway because they're old growth. Don't worry about how tatty it looks - it's only just emerging from hibernation.

VFTs are tough. Two rules: don't worry and let it be.

Just keep it permanently sitting in a tray of rain, distilled or deionised water and let it grow. In a few weeks it should have a fair few traps.

Yes, if the plant is perfectly healthy and not been stressed, then you can just put it out in the sun all day and leave it alone. But, if the plant has been stressed then just putting it under the sun without acclimating it will cause all it leafs to wilt and die. This will leave the rizhone with little or no way to
preform photosynthesis possibly killing the plant. This is why in my humble opinion it is better to be safe than sorry. Two hours a day one week and then four the next is the best way to acclimate your plant.

eh hell be fine mate. as stated many times in this forum VFT (and most CPs) are a lot tougher than people credit them for. If you think about it we baby them: Feed them, perfect housing, perfect light, clean pure water without animal waste, nothing to really harm them. They will be just fine!

but I would say to resist the urge to mess with their root system at all unless there is something seriously wrong... right now thye are on the rebound, I'm sure they'll be fine if you were very careful but why even risk it until they're healthier?

just for future knowledge. its hard to not play with them when you first get them especially if your new to the cp world but its generally not the best time to do so :)

You don't have to acclimate it, that vendor grows their plants in full sun.

It probably wasn't the best idea to move the plants around in the pot, early spring is the time for doing that. You should have at least waited until you could tell if they are ok from shipping or until they started new growth. Now, chances are they're in shock and it will take even longer for them to grow new traps and for you to tell if they are ok.

-Matt

I'm not a well traveled man and not familiar with the weather outside of sunny California. But I do know my state. The VFT vendor is in Sonoma, which is cooler and less dry than San Jose. I agree that VFT in general are very sturdly plants and can survive in various conditions, so long as they are kept wet and not cook in the direct sunlight of California. The VFT are already sad looking and don't need the added heat and dryness to further stress them. The pot looks pretty small and heat build up left outdoor is a real possibility. Acclimating the little guys will NOT harm them. Having them dry up and bake in the sun MAY cause harm. If those are the only two VFTs you have, how would you want to treat them? Whatever you decide to do, it's all part of the learning experience that makes growing CP frustrating and FUN. =) GOOD LUCK.

Back