What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Royal Red !

I just a response and the vendor told me that it is in its dormancy stage . x_X

VFTs look that ugly when they are dormant?

I guess it depends on the depth of dormancy... In conditions so cold (or maybe so dark?) a plant may not look as good when dormant. Back when I used the fridge method, they looked similar to that.. but lets face it, they were really cold with zero light. And I lost plants that way.

Now they're in the g/h for winter, and they just become smaller more compact (close to the ground) vfts but still good looking plants. This is with days in the 60s and nights in the 40s... This picture is of a mixed tray in mid December...

P1010255.JPG

They're now starting to wake up. so you can see the leaves growing upright and are larger... You can see an example of that in this tray of VFT 'Dentate Traps'
0405082017a.jpg

Someone that puts their plants into a "deeper?" dormancy should know if that's what they look like though :) Ozzy? you should know what they look like in nature....

Andrew

It depends a lot on the plant and the growing conditions. Some will lose practically all their leaves while others just slow down growth. And anything out of tissue culture within 18 months probably hasn't synced up completely with the growing conditions and photoperiod and isn't good to judge by. They may also be influenced by the "vigorous growth" spurt phenomenon from Tissue Culture that Barry Rice notes.

For example my 4-5 year old 'Akai Ryu' from leaf pulling lost practically all it's leaves when it went dormant. And the 2-3 year old "Crested Petioles" which arrived dormant in January lost all but one or two leaves. Both the 'Akai Ryu' and "Crested Petioles" only resumed growth a few weeks ago.

Where as my 'B52's which came out of tissue culture in Dec 2006 just slowed down growth and lost a lot of color. These started growing again at the end of January.

For further reference look at this photo on Barry Rice's site.

It probably wasn't the best idea to move the plants around in the pot, early spring is the time for doing that. You should have at least waited until you could tell if they are ok from shipping or until they started new growth. Now, chances are they're in shock and it will take even longer for them to grow new traps and for you to tell if they are ok.

I wouldn't quite agree with that. Letting them be is the way to go, but don't worry about root damage or 'shock'. They're tough and can cope with being uprooted, shipped and potted up again. They don't really go into shock and soon start growing again after disturbance.

I guess it could have something to do with age out of tc... but the plants above I purchased in my first stock order just over a year ago... (who knows how old they were before that) and my personal plants which I've had for 5+ years show the same growth habits in my conditions. Here you can see a tray of my older plants that I let flower this year showing the same smaller more compact growth. I don't have any vfts out of TC sooner to compare to though.
Andrew

MY 2 cents.
Andy, i have seen your plants in person so know that they grow very well in your greenhouse.
It gets down to sometimes 26 * here in Sonoma County.and sometimes for more than one night.
This is how flytraps that are grown outdoors look this time of year around here.
I am even 2 weeks weather wise ( dang these micro climates in CA)behind the afore mentioned vendor so mine are even crappyier looking that this /these plants.
We jest had another frost about 1 week ago , it has set my production back once again.

P S I have jest recently been to one of the larger wholesale growers of carnie plants in Southern Calif.
SURPRISE. everything is overhead watered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't quite agree with that. Letting them be is the way to go, but don't worry about root damage or 'shock'. They're tough and can cope with being uprooted, shipped and potted up again. They don't really go into shock and soon start growing again after disturbance.

In my own experiance, everytime I repot or mess with VFT roots it takes them a while to bounce back.
Maybe our definitions of "shock" are different.
-Matt

Aw man, so it's going to take them even longer to grow? D:

Aw man, so it's going to take them even longer to grow? D:

Not neccesarily. All VFTs grow at different speeds and if you seperated them really carefully without disturbing the roots too much then you will be fine.

Enjoy your traps!
-Matt

This is how flytraps that are grown outdoors look this time of year around here.
I am even 2 weeks weather wise (dang these micro climates in CA) behind the afore mentioned vendor so mine are even crappyier looking that this /these plants.
We jest had another frost about 1 week ago, it has set my production back once again.
Your 'Royal Red' plants look just fine to me.

I agree with Lois. My 200 or so VFTs growing outdoors look very rough; they still think it is winter. I only live a mile from the ocean in northern California, but on Sunday morning, there was an inch of snow on my plants.

Back