What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on VTF

well my Venus Flytrap (like you've wanted) has been situated into the humidity tray WITHOUT the pebbles and is now put into the pot without them so its sitting in the the saucer in the rainwater. well my plant has been planted into a 3 " pot so if anyone disagrees with this size speak up. although i think its ok since the plant itself looks small and young enough to be within its container now. if anyone has got any further details i should know about my plant for better results in growing please do so i love to know techniques that makes my plant twice as likely to be successful. well my plant receives southern light from inside all day while I'm away in school from 7:30 to 2:30 (when i get home) and sometimes on occasion when the weathers warm enough i let it have dappled light outside to not shock the sudden light amount it receives when weather is nice enough I'll gradually let it stay out in full sun. and in afternoons i let the plant receive afternoon sun from the window within my house when temperatures drop. ohh and one more thing ;) i also keep my tray filled whenever it drys out and i check under the sphagnum moss to see if its dry also. is water from above fine when dry or is filling the tray more better..? anyways thats about it i can go on forever but i'd be taking your time so thanks for reading and i hope you can help
(p.s) heres the address to see my plant from earlier post
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112646

is water from above fine when dry or is filling the tray more better..?

Watering from above is fine, if not better. It helps provide movement and oxygen to the roots as the water moves through the soil composition. The basic idea is explained in this thread.

xvart.

is water from above fine when dry or is filling the tray more better..?
Different people will give you different opinions on this one. Personally, I prefer to top water and not use the tray method during the spring and fall as it keeps the pots too wet. Once summer hits, I have to leave the pots standing in a tray of water or else the pots will dry up in the extreme heat.

I wait for the top layer of media to dry up a bit and for the pot to feel lighter than usual before applying water again. If the pot feels heavy, I skip the watering and just spray the top layer of sphagnum to keep it moist.

Most people just put water in the tray. It's just easier.

Back