What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaning Venus Fly Trap

For some reason, my vft is leaning to one side alot. Ive tried to lean it back, but it wont stay for very long. I think its because there are alot more leaves on one side than the other side, setting it off balance. How can I fix this?

We'd need a picture to be sure - is the rhizome / roots well above the soil, or is it just plain leaning a little?

If it's just a little leany, go to any place that sells plants and get one of those small white plant labels - stick it into the soil under one of the traps/leaves on the side that it's leaning and prop it up.

I wouldn't recommend fussing with it too much and disturbing the roots.

I wouldn't think you'd want to have exposed roots though...I'll have to defer to the other guys if that's the case.

The rhizome / roots arent above the dirt. It might be that there is too big of a hole that the roots are in. Here's some pictures of the plant.
042508_1922a.jpg

042508_1922b.jpg

Based on your picture, your flytrap is naturally growing towards the sun to get more light. It's no biggie, just face it the other way and it will balance out. You could leave it that way though, it's not going to get hurt.
-Matt

well ive had it with the side with less leaves facing the sun

I think it's been like that since i got it like 2 and a half weeks ago.

You may have just planted it crooked or something. Don't worry, it'll be fine and will balance out.

So can i grow them outdoors in michigan?

idk what weather zone you live in?

but i should probably bring it inside and put it by a window in the winter right?

but i should probably bring it inside and put it by a window in the winter right?
nononono,

Leave it outside ALL YEAR. When or if it gets below freezing for more than a week at a time, bring it into an unheated garage or shed.

I grow mine indoors just fine as do several other members. ;) The key is to have a LOT of fluorescent light. The only reason I grow mine indoors is because I have virtually no direct sunlight in my front yard due to 3 very large trees and the Phoenix, AZ heat would probably easily bake them come summer time. I also do not grow mine in a terrarium.

So can i grow them outdoors in michigan?

Yes you can! Quite easily too!

Note the pot 'o traps on the right side of photo. Picture taken last spring/summer.

healthySrubras.jpg

D_muscipula,
that cartoon is totally sweet! :)
very cool..

Moo,
yes, your plant should be be outdoors in full sun from April - October..
I live in a very similar environment as you, Rochester, NY.
in the Great-lakes snow belt..
check out how I do it:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

(and how many in the Northern states and Canada handle VFT growing and dormancy.)

Scot

I hate sphered plants! :/

Just plop it outside, but if it has been inside for the majority of its life with you, then I would slowly acclimate it and then integrate it to a sunny balcony, etc.

It's been inside for the 3 weeks that ive had it. But yesterday I put it outside because it was warm out. Im gonna repot it and grow it outside.

Back