What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very strange... pest?

geckoman

Football = Life
Hey,
For the past week one of my normal VFT's has been slowly declining all new traps have slowly turn black and never open I thought it was sun damage so I put it in a little more shade but that did not help. Then all the older traps are closing with no bug in them, so yesterday I repoted it and the roots seemed fine (even though there where some springtails but those are harmless right?) I then cut of the dying traps and opened them inside there where a few tiny tiny bugs.:-( Unfortunately I never took pictures, but another one of of my typicals is starting to do the same thing this time I will take pictures.

So my question is has anyone ever had the same problem? I do not think they are sipidermites as there is no webbing at all but I could be wrong.??? It also could be sun damage and the bugs where just an extra thing. My mom also thinks it could possibly be nemtodes.???

Anyone have and idea what it might be? I am really worried because I kept all my VFT's close to each other and I would die if I lost all my rare cultivars. Please help!:hail:
Thanks in advance,

-Joshua
PS I have been keeping these for along time with no problemo so its probably
not something simple like water soil etc.

Last edited:
description of the bug?

Spider mites don't always leave webbing. It could be thrips especially if the pests seemed to be inside the leaves.

A description would help. If it is either of the above try Spinosad.

Oops forgot the description of the bug, It's tiny, red, and fast (for a small bug).

And they are not inside the leaves. Just in the closed traps (not sealed like normal) the traps then slowly die, and when you open them there is some of those small mites.

Thanks,

-Josh

Red and tiny suggest spider mites. If you have a 20X magnifier you can positively ID them. You might see enough with 10X. Spider Mites have eight legs, thrips 6.

Submerging the plants pot and all for a couple days should take care of either if you don't want to use a pesticide.

Back