What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More than one plant?

I got a typical VFT a few weeks ago from the local grocery store. I can't tell if it has more than one plant or if its just a tissue culture side affect. How can I find out if it's more than one plant?
042808_1814a.jpg

same plant...
042808_1305a.jpg

It's not a TC side effect, it's just a technique used by growers. The machine used by the green house probably stuffs 4+ in there for every pot. Some will naturally die while transplanting, some will die in shipping, some will die in the store, and some will die by your hands. Popping 4+ in the pot helps make sure the end product makes it to the consumer and improves marketing by looking healthier.

Sooo... How do I know if there's more than one plant or not? And if there is, how do I get it away from the other plant without harming the roots?

The only way is to unearth it and examine the rhizomes. If it is one or more separate rhizomes/korms then gently separate them untangling the roots the best you can. If the rhizomes are fused repot them as is and in time they will divide.

This thread maybe of interest to you.

An easy way to tell is to see if there is more than 1 growth point

You can have one or more growth points but until the rhizome is divided you technically only have one plant.

In the fall when I repotted my 'Cupped Trap' it had 3 growth points but insufficient rhizome and root structure for each point to be divided. Dividing at the onset of dormancy wouldn't have been a good idea anyway. When I repotted it again just last week it had divided on its own into two separate rhizomes. The other point died off during the winter.

Whats a growth point? Is it where a new leaf is starting to grow? Because I have like 4 of those.

Oh, and so theres only one per plant?

Oh, and so theres only one per plant?

usually yes,
although a large rhizome can have several growing points, but it still only counts as "one plant" because there is one rhizome..

so if you have more than one growing point, you either have:

a. one plant with multiple growing points.
b. multiple plants, with separate rhizomes. (probably more likely in your case)

but IMO, you really shouldnt even worry about it right now..
your plant (or plants) should not be disturbed right now..
you should keep growing it as-is, dont un-pot or re-pot it just to see how many plants there are..its unimportant right now, and it will unnecessarily stress the plant.

just wait, keep growing it as-is this growing season.
then put the plant through dormancy this winter..

THEN, early next spring, right before the plant is going to come out of dormancy..
late February or early March..then take the plant out of the pot to see if its multiple plants..
if it is, divide up the plants into individual pots.

Scot

Try to get a better veiw in the soil, you should then be able to tell if there are one or two plants.

I guess that there probably is two plants in that pot.

+++
And it's effect******************* not affect.

Back