What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few shots

So I put a terrarium together a couple of months ago to raise some CPs from seed. I had to stratify some of the seeds before sowing them, so I put a few of my smallest VFTs in the terrarium to give them a head start on spring.

I was amazed at how well they grow in the terrarium. When I put them in there, they were exceptionally small. Now they look almost like adult plants, but they didn't flower this year.

I thought I would share a few pictures of my favorite plants. These are just typical VFTs:
VFT_red_line.jpg

VFT_red_line2.jpg

VFT_big_trap_little_trap.jpg

VFT_good_coloration2.jpg

VFT_high_resolution_trigger_haris2.JPG

Thanks for looking!
Matt

They are beautiful! What kind of lighting are you giving them?

They are beautiful! What kind of lighting are you giving them?

Thanks! I have them in a 90 gallon aquarium growing under 6 Agrosun 40W fluorescent bulbs. They are very close to the lights, about 2-3 inches. Here are the specs on the bulbs:
2450 lumens
color rendering index: 93
color temperature: 5850 kelvin

Great shots, awesome plants!

Nice! I like the shot of the inside of the trap.

this just proved to me that inside terrarium=better than outdoor.
i leave mine outdoor 24/7 for a couple of months now. its barely pinkish.

i leave mine outdoor 24/7 for a couple of months now. its barely pinkish.

I too have some outside plants and most of them aren't really coloring up much either. They will once the days get longer and the temps get warmer. I have the plants in the terrarium on a 16 hour photoperiod and kept between 65 and 85 F.

Not all of the plants that I have in the terrarium are as colorful as the ones I posted the photos of. However, they are all much more colorful than any of the plants I have outside right now.

Dude, that's amazing! Such awesome looking VFTs! I love the last pic, you can see the digestive glands (I think that's what they are).

Wow that last photo is amazing!!!

Thanks! It's my favorite too. It's really neat to see a trap that close up.

nice pics.

Thank you very much!

Dude, that's amazing! Such awesome looking VFTs! I love the last pic, you can see the digestive glands (I think that's what they are).

Thanks Capensis! I am in love with my little terrarium plants right now. I must look at them more than a dozen times a day. I can't wait for summer to get here so that my outside plants start coloring up and growing more.

Yeah, I would think that those little red dots are digestive glands or whatever you would call the part of the leaf that secretes the digestive fluids.

sneak sneak . awsome plants wish mine was like that:(

Plus if they are inside then no terrorists can get into them. What do you do for dormancy?

Those are awesome!

Plus if they are inside then no terrorists can get into them. What do you do for dormancy?

Hah, that's true. I worry about that a little sometimes because I always get neighbors asking me what I am growing in the backyard. I didn't even think people noticed. Right now I only keep a few in the terrarium and they were actually the smallest plants I had. I just wanted to give them a jump start or summer and hope that it helps them mature a little faster.

Last winter I left them outside here until about the first week of November. That's when we had our first snowfall and freeze. Then I brought them in on an unheated south facing porch for the winter. They started showing growth again about mid-February. I got the terrarium at the end of March and when I put them in it, they just took off. I am planning on moving them outside in a month or so though.

Those are awesome!

Thanks a bunch Trapper7!

Sounds good to me. I hope that you don't hurt them by bringing them to full sun right a way. Terrorists can be anything from humans stealing your plants or animals.

Sounds good to me. I hope that you don't hurt them by bringing them to full sun right a way. Terrorists can be anything from humans stealing your plants or animals.

Ah right! I used to have problems with squirrels. They would nibble on the leaves and sometimes dig up plants, but I built a little cage to put my plants in to keep the squirrels out. So no problems there anymore.

I am planning on hardening them off to full sun when the time comes to move them outside so that they don't burn up. Hopefully they adjust well.

Back