What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Death cube VFT

I went out and got one of those cube things from Lowes. When I got home, I got it out of that cube and repotted it... But when I took it out, the plant FELL APART!! :cuss: The leaves all separated. But there was one leaf that had a single root on it, and it was kinda long. Will it survive? Right now it's in a setup to have a little less humidity than the cube. Its in a peat perlite soil mixture.

Umm I can't say whether or not it will survive without a picture... but my guess is yes as VFT's are very hardy within reasonable conditions.
I also do not understand how it fell apart... It might of been more than one small plant.

No, there was three puny leaves, one was brown with mold or something on it, another was greenish with a yellow/brown trap (the one with the root), and the other was the one that was the healthiest looking out of them.

No offense, but you probably should have just not bought it or looked for a better one.......

the one i got at 99cent would probably look better than that.

If there was any white material on the rhizome, there is a chance that it will survive as long as you treat it ok from here on out.

it was the last one and I really wanted it. :D I probably shouldnt have got it. And there is a little whitish color on the very end of the leaf.

there's still a bunch of those 99cent vft at a 99cent store like 2 blocks away from me. some of em are probably dead already, its been 2 months and its still there. trap's not as red anymore, but it snaps really fast, so i'm guessing it must have some energy or must be healthy to snap that fast. look around your area, there might be some other store selling it. or just buy from andy.

I plan on buying normal plants from Andy, not some messed up store VFTs.

the larger cubes which contain larger etiolated plants are like 9-15 dollars right?
Mostly everything there is unlabeled and it's also rather common. I mean after buying one of each cube it's not worth buying anymore and you can get plants like S. purparea there but there are 28 subspecies of purparea and you won't have a clue which one it is becuase it was from the hardware store.
Why not just order healthy plants? I don't get why people buy plants from the hardware store, maybe they think they are saving them. Well no you are supporting the neglect of cp's go buy plants from a place that has healthy plants. Andy has nice flytraps and they are already used to proper conditions so you won't have to wean them off of there "death cubes" and acclimate them to full sun. If you see some healthy plants grab them it makes a statement maybe they will realize that healthy plants will make them more money and maybe they will research cp's and discover this forum.

well, for me i get 10 of those cylinder VFT for 5$, when i get andrew's for 5$+5$ shipping.
so store
10=5$
andy
1=10$
but the tissue culture sideeffect or something i have no idea, now all the traps that comes out are small and stuff. and andy's flytrap are getting bigger.
so here's the thing
andy's is healthier
but the store's is cheaper...ish....
so for somebody that doesnt have a job like me and doesnt have any spare paypal money. i just get the one from store till i have enough.

Well I got one of those same cylider things for $6. I guess I got ripped off.

well, if you dont have any of those 99cent around you, just buy it from andy instead of paying 6$ for a semi-dead plant.

I know, andys look really healthy

yes his flytraps are healthy and they are larger than what one would expect for their price.
So are his sarracenia and he has a great capensis red. I would order healthy plants from Andy, and your purchase supports terraforums.

Back