What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthrive Questions

I've looked around the forums and found many mixed reviews about Superthrive. I was just wondering for those of you who have used it, what were your results? What is the exact amount suggested? I've read a drop or two in a gallon of water, and someone suggested a couple drops in a bowl, and to soak the plant for ~15-30 minutes before repotting. Not sure if it would be the whole plant, or just the roots or leaves. Also how often do you water the plants with superthrive?
Ultimately, is it worth buying? I was planning to use it for repotting and as a growth booster.

donno, but one of my sarracenia died because of it.(superthrive overdose)

NEVER use it alone. It killed my D. aliciae and VFT cutting.

Unless you don't dilute it, or use VERY high doses each time you water and never flush, I find it very hard to believe it killed anything. I literally add some water to a five gallon bucket and dump it in there. I'm not exaggerating when I say dump. 1/4th of the bottle has been known to have been used in my household.

The dose recommended on the bottle is a joke. It would be like licking a vitamin instead of eating it. Five milliliters per cup of water or so is a good dose. That's 100 times the recommended dosage, and in one cup and not one gallon! The debate is still going on on whether or not it really does anything, but it definitely does no harm as long as you don't use it straight up. I've been using it for, it seems, forever. Use it whenever you disturb a plant.

In The Savage Garden, D'Amato recommends soaking bare root plants at 10 drops per gallon for half an hour before planting, and generally watering plants at one drop per gallon.

Never tried it myself, but I would guess it's safe for Dionaea at these low doses.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll pick it up. Anyone know if Home Depot carries this stuff?

I use it deluded in a cup of RO water and soak the roots of plants that have been stressed out due to unpotting/shipping. I also add a dash of Megagro.

I've seen it at walmart by the plant fertilizers not sure on home depot though.

yeah, first time i didnt know and went in and dunk the whole bottle in a container and soaked the root in pure superthrive. and killed it.

I'm always confused by the Soaking in supershrive for 30 minutes.

Wouldn't it cause just as much harm as it helps to have the plant spend that much more out of its "habitat"?

Not really.

I think that the 30 minutes a plant spends soaking is equivalent to the 30 seconds we waste watching a TV commercial. Harmless.

I finally picked up some Premier Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, and Superthrive. I'm planning to repot tomorrow, technically later today. Before repotting I'm planing to soak the bare root plants for 20-30 mins My question is am I supposed to be dumping the whole plant into the gallon of water with ~10 drops, or just leaving only the roots in the solution? Anyone tried this with Dionaea?

Back