What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT flowering help plz

DJ.Zany-NL-

Dead to Mosqueeto's ALL OF THEM!
ok so my VFT is flowering i think but i dun know wether i should leave it or cut it...
it's making new leave's the old one's are all brown and dead etc
here's a pic:

remove the flower yes/no
PS: mind the Aphid thread i started

With my Dionaea, I clip the flower stalk off. Flowering takes a lot out of a fly trap and if it is not healthy to begin with it may die once it is done flowering. It is really hard on the plant.
Some growers let their VFts flower and the plants do fine but why risk it?

Hope this helps!

Giovanni

so do i have to cut it off at the base?

Yes, cut the flower off at the base trying to get as much of it as you can without harming your plant. Please be very careful as you do not want to cut or harm the rhizome in any way.

there's nothing to it. Just snip off what you can safely and nip the rest as it emerges later. Don't get too carried away.

kthnx for the advice :)
wath about the dead leave's do i have to cut those off as well?

2nd problem i've cut of the first flower but now there's a second coming out!
help is it from another VFT? or is it another attempt?

2nd problem i've cut of the first flower but now there's a second coming out!
help is it from another VFT? or is it another attempt?

it's from the same plant, you just cut off the previous stalk too soon wich gave the plant the impuls to give it another go. Wait untill the stalk is atleast 5 cm long before cutting it off and the chance of it making another one will decrease

Clipped or not VFTs often produce multiple flower stalks. My 'Cupped Trap' produced 6 flower stalks last year, even when I let some of the previous stalks grow almost to the point of blossoming. The typicals I let flower this year have all produced 2 or 3 stalks. I've seen just as many grow additional stalks as not when clipped very early. The length of the stalk at time of cutting appears to be irrelevant in regards to multiple stalk growth. If the plant is going to grow multiple flowers stalks it's going to do so regardless of if or when you clip the stalks.

ok ty guys

Back