What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring fever

Well, spring is here and my VFT are really beginning to grow. I have been busy with school lately and have not had much time for TF. Now that I am almost finished, I had the time to take some pics of my vft. Enjoy!
Bigmouth VFT
P1070855.JPG

P1070857.JPG

My typical vft's have been infected with some aphids and is now beginning to recover.
P1070859.JPG

And for good measure, a S. alata Covington, LA. I actually have too many of these and may trade some this year. I have 6 pots full of them, 4 pots are seen in the photo.
P1070860.JPG

Wow really nice! I like your bigmouth. VFT that is ;)

why doesnt my VFT have a red mouth?

Nice VFTs and Sarrs :D.

I agree with Niki. Your 'Big Mouth' is impressive.

Mine looks like its going to croak.

Hopefully my b mouth will be as big as yours someday :-D

Give youre more light Capensis

Thanks everyone. I use a 50:50 peat, perlite mix and grow them just like a nep, except in full sun. This method works best for me because when I would grow them in standing water they would be healthy in the summer but in the winter (I kept them damp in winter) they would decline and in the spring they would really be struggling right now. However, the TF member that originally sent me 5 big mouth vft in 2005 recommended to grow them drier like in the winter time. Since using this method my vft have dramatically improved in health, and some of the bulbs I repotted were 2 inches large! They also clump better grown the drier way IME.

BTW, are the big mouth too tightly clumped? I repotted them just 4 months ago but they have clumped like crazy this spring.
Thanks,
Tyler

You're big mouth look awesome. I wouldn't say they are too tightly clumped, but you will need to repot and separate them next spring.

Very nice and healthy looking plants!

Looking real good!

why doesnt my VFT have a red mouth?

It is one of the color variations. Some are solid green some have red lips some have red mouth. some are all red. Just a variation or you may not have it in enough light. Is it in full sun?

What is neat is the one I have growing in my bog that has frills on the leaves like a fancy tux would. Someone said it was crested, but I need to take pics of it when I get a change to post. I like it. I don't remember it last year and so far it hasn't gone away.

Nice plants Dewy!

OH~ Nice Flytrap!!
They look great and healthy.
Thanks for your sharing.:-D

Back